Holden and Fisher toroidal transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'll snap some pics later... these trafos have had a long trip back to me. I bought them in the early 80s (along with a number of Crimson Amp modules), then i got "out of audio" and passed them on to a friend. Now he is moving in with a new GF and has to rationalize his stash.

I have 2 monsters (+ maybe another the same in a built-up amp with 300W crimson modules) , a pr much smaller (guess 200-300VA) and a single (guess 150-250VA). It will be easy enuff to figur the voltages, but a good estimate of VA would be nice as well as knowing how easy it will be to spearate the common if they are terminated V-0-V instead of V-0, 0-V...

I also have one -- i guess -- in my NAIT 2.

dave

Hi,
I think you will find that Holden & Fischer are slightly heavier than the equivalent VA from ILP (who are they now?).

Are they black fabric wrapped? Increased damping (less noise?) or increased emissivity (run cooler?)

It should be very simple to unwrap the area next to the lead outs and separate the two secondaries. Do they have a potted core? That's more difficult!

The primary will be separately wrapped under the secondaries so your mains safety will not be compromised IF you take care not to damage the primary and it's wrapping.

Crimson 3004 series 7 or series vii? I think the 3004 was only available as a series 7.
Has it got two pair of 3773s or three pairs? Are they still 3773s?

Crimson's grounding/earthing instructions in the blue A5 manual are not optimum nor were the later A4 photostated (or fotostatted?) literature.

Holden & Fisher LTD.
64/72 Glantaner Rd.
Balmore
Glasgow G22 7SZ
041-335-0547

ILP has become Amplimo a long time ago.
H&F used to be the transformer brand of many big audio boys in the 1980s, also US brands, for some reason Holden & Fisher lost its share. Beautiful toroids, the black cloth wrap is marvelous.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
picture....

Attachments

• holden-fisher-toroids.jpg
    holden-fisher-toroids.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 912
Long Dead and Long Gone

I understand they went bust years ago, which is why Naim started using another manufacturer, if you ask the right people at Naim they will tell you the Holden & Fisher type was the best sounding. Its really odd this company going under it seemed like every serious manufacturer was using them. I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong and they are still in business, I had them custom wind me some toroids in the 80s and they did sound good!

RC

Googling and the Glasgow yellow pages gave;
- Campbell & Neill food 70/72 Glantaner road
- S.L. Neill, fish merchant, 70 Glantaner road
and:
www.scottishfoodanddrink.com/view_item.aspx?item_id=14560

Looks like these Glantaner rd. numbers have seen multiple residents in recent years.
Seems that Holden & Fisher went bottom up in silence.
The German VDE society still lists H&F in 1998.
Shame, a company like that deserved better management.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.