Metcal questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just got a used Metcal SP-800 from ebay and tried to check out the differences between the Metcal products (bit late now lol) but couldn't find much. Google brought up page after page of factory blurb...Perfect for lead free ... etc. Nothing saying why the next up in price was better.

So for my curiosity and others wondering which Metcal would suit them best can anyone explain the differences between the SP-200, SP-800, MX-200 and the MX-500 please.

Any suggestions for tips? Say the 3 or 4 most likely to be useful for smd and through hole components. (4% silver loaded solder, melting temp 217 C.)

Also, what's that square of plastic clipped to the lead for?

Thanks.

The square of plastic is actually silicone. You use it like a pot-holder or oven mit to change hot tips.

If you have the 800, who cares about the differences between it and the others?

As far as tips go... that is the beauty of the metcal system. Because the temp is regulated at the tip, one tip can do more things. For all around work a 60 mil (1.5mm) chisel tip is probably your best choice. For SMT work, you should use the smallest tips available. The cone shaped rather than the "necked" tips have the best performance (less thermal resistance between business-end and temp sensor").

Do keep mind, the tips fail sometimes without warning, so you should always keep a spare. At the same time, I've had tips last almost 3 years.

Despite the high cost of tips, I have 2 SP200's and would not consider soldering with anything else. The speed with which you can work (high power) and the protection afforded small components (limited temperature) just can't be beaten. I was reluctant as hell, because some greasey salesman was trying to sell my company some 40 or so units some 12 years back. After I soldered with one 1/2 an hour or so, I haven't used anything else.

GOOD PURCHASE!

;)

P.S. as far as temperature is concerned the 600 series tips are good for all around. Keep in mind, the "heat of fusion" (the heat required to change a material from solid to liquid without changing its temperature) and a skilled touch are the best regulators of component temperature. Heat sensitive components are best protected by the least amount of solder applied in the fastest fashion. So... you're skill level has alot to do with how high you can go on temp anyway.

SMT components demand that you get yourself some liquid flux and practice with it... it is the secret to beauty joints... and also the key to drag soldering... a must for really tiny SMT stuff.

www.metcal.com

Check on their site for specific rec's for silvered alloys.

:)

I have recently changed from an ancient Weller to a Metcal SP200.
I certainly won't be changing back! It's a dream to solder with.
Sorry, I can't help with differences.
The tips do seem to be hard to find.
If you find a uk source, please let me know!
I've ordered a couple from huntertools, but they seem to be a long time coming.

poobah said:

If you have the 800, who cares about the differences between it and the others?

Thanks for the response, it's now just out of curiosity I'd like to know the differences in the systems and for all the acclaimed quality of Metcal their sales pitch is somewhat lacking for me. I take it the dearer product does a bit more than the cheaper... but like what?
Rework gets mentioned for the MX-500 but not for the others, about the only clue offered.

I agree, their website is lacking a sound selection matrix.

I haven't used anything but the SP200... I think your model is about the same with the exception of a slimmer handle and a smaller footprint on the tabletop.

Keep in mind, Metcal was bought up buy OK I guess. In the transistion, I'll bet their original web material got mangled (like Vishay & Tyco).

Buy a few basic tips... you will never consider another brand of iron.

:)

Metcal SP-800

well, i bought a metcal sp-800 from digikey out of curiosity. i don't know it is me or what. the heating element disintegrated within a month. i've to replace the whole handle. and the handle is far too hot to use continously. the power is quite limited especially when you try to solder a large area of copper.
the quality is a bit iffy for me as compared to my hakko. can't say it is that much better. it is cheaper than other models probably because of country of origin and less power. in this case it is from China. i will probably get a sp 200 or 500 and see whether they are really that good.

I just got a Metcal system and did a bit of research before buying. The Metcal website is definatly lacking some crucial info, so I Googled. This is my understading of the various systems:

SP200 (solder) and SP440 (desolder) - Uses 470 kHz RF and a DIN style connecor. Limited selection of tips (relative to 13 MHz system). The SP440 has a build in vacuum pump. I think both of these are out of production.

MX500 / STTS - Uses 13.56 MHz RF with a coaxial connector. Widest selection of tips an handpieces. The MX500 is a dual output RF generator, the STTS/RFG30 is an older single ouput RF generator. The STDS-DS1 desoldering handpiece uses compressed air at 50 to 80 psi. The RFG30 is the oldest and has an illuminated power switch on top. The newer STTS looks like the RFG30 but has a non-illuminated power switch and one (green) or two (green and orange) LED on the top rim. The MX500 is the newest of the series and the (dual) RF connectors are on the front rather than the back like the older units. The MX500 has a very clever inactivity timeout (the SWR changes when heat is drawn out of the tip, and this resets the timeout). I suspect this series is the most popular. MX500 seems to be in production.

The 800 series is a new system. I think it is a low freq (470 kHz) system that is intended to replace the 200/440 and compete with the new competition that has adopted some of the older Metcal technology (some patents have recently expired). It is quite a bit less expensive than the 500 series. It differs from the older Metcal system in that is has a seperate heating element and tip. This makes the tip much cheaper to replace because the expensive heating element is not discarded along with the worn out tip.

A few patents: 4,626,767 4,752,864

The solder is usually what determines optimal tip temperature. In most cases 600F to 700F is best. There are very few uses for 500F. The only application I can think of would be the very thin and delicate flex PCBs.

With simple non temperature controled irons, the wattage would be selected to match the work size. 15W for most stuff, 30W for the big stuff (connectors, switches, RF tins, etc), and the the infamous 120W gun for the really big stuff.

The Metcal system will supply only as much power as is required to maintain the specified temperature. The tip will only absorb RF energy below a certain temperature. Once it is up to temerature the power draw drops to a low level - just enough to maintain temperature. The MX500 can supply up to 50 Watts of RF, the STTS/RFG30 can supply up to 40 Watts and the PS-800 up to 35 Watts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.