Capacitors for water desalination

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
capacitors for water desalinisation

Hi all

I don't know exactly where to post this - maybe the power supplies section would be better. Moderators, feel free to move the thread!

Recently I have got some capacitors made by Ducati, rated 100muF, 750Vdc (530VAC), 80 Imax. They are 25cm/10" long (without considering the binding posts) and 7,5cm/3" in diameter. Pretty big, actually. The guy who sold them to mee told me he took them out of a water desalinisation station, that was built for a boat, but never used (so capacitors are new). I am sure they are reliable and that they will work in tubeamps power supplies, but I am just curious if anyone also uses, or tested, those capacitors and how they compare to others!?

Many thanks for the attention

Erik

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Ducati Monster

1100cc per capacitor, that's big. Any amplifier using them would be a monster. I would favour a chassis in a light straw colour to go with any red bits.

I think Electronics and Parts is probably a better place for desalination capacitors.

Hi Ethermion and EC8010

Thanks for the replies and EC8010 for moving the thread! I already had a look at the ducati website, but could not find this kind of capacitor over there. It has got screw terminals (M10), not the faston ones like the motor caps.

Yes, they are big! I will make the PS on a separate chassis - I actually have time to do it right now, but with the 30+ degrees celsius over here I much prefer the garden with a beer than the hobby room with a soldering iron and power hungry HOT tubes!

Erik

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
ErikdeBest said:
I actually have time to do it right now, but with the 30+ degrees celsius over here I much prefer the garden with a beer than the hobby room with a soldering iron and power hungry HOT tubes!

Likewise, the thought of going into the workshop and running a 500W motor (drill), or 700W motor (lathe or mill) just fills me with horror. I've just had an ice cream...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.