0,0047uF = 47pF?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No, it's 4.7 nF. Which is the same as 4700 pF.

On your calculator:
uF is 10 with exponent -6.
nF is 10 with exponent -9
and pF is 10 with exponent -12.

Note that the international way to express these values is by using a dot instead of a comma. In Europe we write down 4,7 which confuses others. We write down 10.000 for ten thousand whilst the Americans write down 10,000 for the same thing.( If I'm correct ).

Hi,

Please check the numbers here;)

Attachments

• number.jpg
    number.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 445
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: The Cosmic Question is :

sam9 said:
Who decided on making a Farad so big, anyway? Ocassionally, ones sees a 1F cap used for an autosound system (the one that drives you nuts sitting at a stop light, no doubt). Otherwise, it seems of no use except to microwave a cow or fire up 'ole sparky.

I think they defined it as a cap that gets charged 1 volt by 1 Amp for 1 Sec. They really couldn't predict we would be working with uamps 100 years later, could they?:cool: ;) :angel:

Jan Didden

BTW ever seen the 4.7 uuF way of writing ? Saw it once in a tube amp schematic.
Yes, I remember seeing it back in the 60's, but can't remember the age of the schematics.

A thing that catches many people out is the letter tolerance scheme where a resistor marked:
4.7(ohm)K is 4.7 ohms 10%, NOT 4700 ohms:xeye:

Now, why can't I paste a unicode omega symbol in here?
Instead I get §Ù

Honky Donky Bridge....

If you keep forgetting how to convert the Farad value, try remembering this:

u:
'micro' -> similar to 'million', but micro multiples the number by 10^-6, whereas 'million' multiplies the number by 10^6

n:
'nano' -> the pronounciation is like 'nine', so it means multiply the number by 10^-9.

p
'pico' -> the smallest multiplication factor between the above. Just remember: between u -> n -> p steps, you must multiply by a factor of 10^3. So:
10^-6 uF = 10^-9 pF = 10^-12 pF.

Thanks to my old high school physics teacher.

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.