Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

My Transistors, original or copy?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2018, 06:32 PM   #991
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Later has come now.

We have been using this opamp in a particular product for about 15 years or so, and they've always looked like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

I know, the BB-logo looks odd, but they're always this way and they're always acquired from authorized suppliers. This is on the most recently produced batch.

But you're probably more used to seeing the BB-logo this way:

Left 2008 vintage, right 2011 vintage.
2017 vintage ICs look like the one on the right. Any other exterior, and I'd assume them fake until proven otherwise. Especially the OPA627 is prone to being counterfeited as they are pretty expensive, even when bought in large numbers.

Do you notice anything about the lot trace codes on these ICs?

Last edited by jitter; 26th March 2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 26th March 2018, 07:23 PM   #992
diyAudio Member

But beware... looks alone may be deceiving as the better counterfeiters will try to match them as closely as possible.

Even through this may look similar to the OPA350 in my previous post, the rough edges make me think this might be a counterfeit too..
And the lot trace code seems a bit too similar to that of the right OPA627 to be a coincidence...

Buy from Mouser or Digikey and you'll likely get the real thing, buy off fleabay, and fakes are what you will get...

Last edited by jitter; 26th March 2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 27th March 2018, 05:04 AM   #993
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlithen View Post
But on a more global scale...what does Linear Systems say?
This fake junk certainly hurts their business. And they have probably purchased some rights for something if they make LSJ74 and LSK170 today... Just a though. I could ask them.
Linear Systems does indeed continue some products that the big manufacturers made obsolete, but that doesn't necessarily mean they make them to the same standards. One particular product we use is the 2N4117 low leakage FET.

Those are not without problems. The application calls for extremely low leakage, and the A-brand predecessors (Silliconix, then Vishay) never gave us any problems. The Linear Systems version are reasonably OK, but some just have too high leakage and need to be replaced.

We also had a bad batch in which the bonding wire between the metal case and the pin wasn't connected in a large percentage.

Also from a certain date, the marking is missing a numeral, and this continues to go unnoticed now for years. LS QC isn't up to snuff...

But LS is just as powerless as any other brand to do something about counterfeiting. All they can do is advize people to buy from authorized distributors. And frankly, in the end it is our responsibility too. If we all stop buying fakes, there's no market and it will collapse. Yes, Mouser and Digikey and the likes are expensive, but that is the real cost of real parts, not just markups.

Last edited by jitter; 27th March 2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 27th March 2018, 12:36 PM   #994
jlithen is offline jlithen  Finland
diyAudio Member

Absolutely right, nobody should buy fakes. Unfortunately there are many bad reasons to buy fakes
I sometimes have to buy parts of eBay. I always check them carefully and also claim them when needed.
Unfortunately eBay policy makes claiming fakes very hard and time consuming. (also expensive)
If component can be found from official supplier then I 100% buy from them!

I reported a few K170 listings for a few days back, I guess eBay is not gonna do crap about that.
How about we all report obviously 100% fake components on eBay. Would that motivate them to take action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitter View Post
Linear Systems does indeed continue some products that the big manufacturers made obsolete, but that doesn't necessarily mean they make them to the same standards. One particular product we use is the 2N4117 low leakage FET.

Those are not without problems. The application calls for extremely low leakage, and the A-brand predecessors (Silliconix, then Vishay) never gave us any problems. The Linear Systems version are reasonably OK, but some just have too high leakage and need to be replaced.

We also had a bad batch in which the bonding wire between the metal case and the pin wasn't connected in a large percentage.

Also from a certain date, the marking is missing a numeral, and this continues to go unnoticed now for years. LS QC isn't up to snuff...

But LS is just as powerless as any other brand to do something about counterfeiting. All they can do is advize people to buy from authorized distributors. And frankly, in the end it is our responsibility too. If we all stop buying fakes, there's no market and it will collapse. Yes, Mouser and Digikey and the likes are expensive, but that is the real cost of real parts, not just markups.
Old 7th April 2018, 01:53 PM   #995
jfetter is offline jfetter  United States
diyAudio Member

OPA2134 discovered.
They are working with no fails yet, but are clearly fakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6F5E49FC-3C5D-457E-99A1-B4167A9BA13D.jpeg (375.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 7th April 2018, 02:30 PM   #996
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Then the big question is going to be, how do they perform. Get a real one and compare them.

-Chris
Old 8th April 2018, 11:27 PM   #997
Rafael S. M. is offline Rafael S. M.  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hello guys !

I have two TIP3055 from 2005, are those with thermal grease inside the hole. I bought more TIP3055 and TIP35C and TIP36C from several stores, but someone seems a fake, you can see a different terminal design in the exit of case, and more "sharp" at the end, the back are very bright, and others are more opaque and have a different design. Its really counterfeit or they are diferent batch/site of production

My Transistors, original or copy?Hide this!Advertise here!