My Transistors, original or copy?

Hello ,
I am not questioning the authenticity of these,
but I am just curious if anyone else seen these before.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 141
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have seen that regulator before, but not by Linear Technology. I would have to dig out a databook from those years to check the markings to be sure.

Failing that, you would have to test them on a heat sink. Now for the big question. Where did they come from (that you know is fact)? That path and their condition might tell you something. They are extremely clean for an old part number from 1992.

I have seen that regulator before, but not by Linear Technology. I would have to dig out a databook from those years to check the markings to be sure.

Failing that, you would have to test them on a heat sink. Now for the big question. Where did they come from (that you know is fact)? That path and their condition might tell you something. They are extremely clean for an old part number from 1992.
So nice to hear from you after all these years my friend 😊

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kanwar,
I'm glad to hear that!

Yes, I service all decent brands. I updated all the Counterpoint preamp power supplies for improved performance and reliability. You won't see my changes on the 'net. I do similar things for other equipment where improvement is possible. I don't chop and hack PCBs, but engineer changes to work with the existing circuit.
Life has been calmer and pretty good since my wife died. Sad to say I guess, I would never wish her dead.

Reactions: 1 users
@petoluk
Thanks but I was aware of the datasheet and the K and P packages listed there.
ST and TI are listing their lm338 metal can(k package) as LM138k/338k, but Linear Technology does not( or I cannot see it)
Sorry for the late reply - I wanted to take a pic of my LT regs, but that part of my stock didn't make it to our new house until today. I'm not aware of any document detailing the LT part marking convention, but - going by the actual parts I collected over the years from various trusted suppliers - the package designation letter is always printed on the case.

Hope this helps at least a bit...

Attachments

• 20230602_210137_2.jpg
    20230602_210137_2.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: 1 users