My Transistors, original or copy? - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2009, 09:26 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

Hello friend,i have some issue like yours,everybody point in oscillation direction,after check that,
i go hard and open an original device (bad one) and compare with the ones i bought,of course i was disappointed, the new ones look smaler the leads are thin and have less dissipation area, and dont work ,fail as soon as i test hard...
Do the "open test"and compare (size area of the chip,leads etc) before go crazy...
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:19 PM   #212
diyAudio Member

Powerflux, where did you buy that batch ?

Here: http://www.baco-army-goods.nl/product_987.html ?
Old 4th May 2009, 01:43 AM   #213
diyAudio Member

unfortunately ST almost invites counterfeiting, since they use silver paint on the top of their TO-3 cans and then prints their logo on top of it. the only real good way to check the transistors non-destructively is the C-E and B-C capacitance, and compare against known good ones (like the RCA devices you have). capacitance is somewhat proportional to die size.
Old 4th May 2009, 03:07 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

hi,

i have a blown RCA somewhere from some time ago, i'll try to clean it up as good as i can and do some size comparisons.

oscillation is a very good point, but since they've blown so far in the very milisecond i connect vsupply i don't suspect that's the problem. circuit layout is exactly the same betwee channels, as is dc supply. i've switched supplys to double check and the RCA channel keeps working.

i'll try and build a low-voltage (<12v), medium current lamp switch or something like that with one ST :P, i sadly don't have a capacitance meter.

i've bought them from thaishopetc @ ebay, not baco army goods.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:23 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

also, i've never seen 3055's with the large diameter pins.... 3055's always seem to have the standard pins. can you get MJ15024's? same beta range, better Ft (3 or 4Mhz) and 250V.

i've learned to buy my semis from reputable distributors. they may cost a little more up front, but i know what i'm getting. it's actually cheaper, considering that by the time you figure out the 3 or 4 transistors you blew up are fakes, they cost you as much as the 1 good one you wanted. then you have to find one from a better source and pay for the part and shipping all over again. when i'm doing a repair, discovering a fake also costs in client satisfaction, since it's extra time to get the right part.
Old 5th May 2009, 09:06 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

hi all,

i've sent the ebayshop owner an email explaining the situation. he assured me that they were from ST.

so as a final test i took out all RCA's from the working channel and replaced them with ST's. result: 4 blown ST's, driver transistors (BD140/139) also blown.

put back the original RCA's, new drivers and the channel works perfectly again.

interresting detail: the blown ST's all measure shorted between E-C/E-C but OK (~0.5V - ~0.6V in diode test) between B-E, B-C.
i'm not sure what it means, but normally everything's totally shorted or open, not normal diode values..

i'll order new ones (or no 3055's, but i wanted that for vintage's sake ) somewhere else. i've recieved a PM with advice to sample them at OnSemi.

thank you all very much for your help. i'll check this topic on regular base
Old 17th May 2009, 04:50 AM   #217
PM650 is offline PM650  United States
diyAudio Member

I just bought some B1647's, they look a bit fishy to me. A real one is shown (bent leads):
Click the image to open in full size.
back
crack?
real one
The suspects:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1363/13725/284881.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1363/13725/284882.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1363/13725/284883.jpg

Any comments?
Old 17th May 2009, 07:15 AM   #218
diyAudio Member

the one you have labeled real is a real one. two of the fakes show signs of the face being sandpapered, as well as the SK in the dimple above the collector lead. and are definitely fakes. the other one has the same date code and beta code as the fakes, and it;s printed exactly the same way. notice the spacing and centering of the code groups. this makes the third one a fake as well, but the base device used to make this fake came from a different source than the other two fakes, it's possibly even a genuine sanken device, but the printing has been altered and printed exactly like the other fakes. the best test is to test the C-E and C-B capacitances and compare them to the good one.

the sandpaper evidence is the rounded edges of the dimples (sandpaper, wire wheel, buffing wheel, sandblasting box, there are several ways to remove the original numbers)
Old 31st May 2009, 06:28 PM   #219
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by unclejed613
the one you have labeled real is a real one. two of the fakes show signs of the face being sandpapered,
---
the sandpaper evidence is the rounded edges of the dimples (sandpaper, wire wheel, buffing wheel, sandblasting box, there are several ways to remove the original numbers)
Very interesting, uncleJed
So this is how they do it .. sandpaper or simlar to remove original label first
... then add the faked print
Old 11th September 2009, 12:46 PM   #220
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Is there anybody who knows where to buy REAL Toshiba transistors in Europe in small quntities. I am soooo tired of that Chinese junk sneaking in everywhere

Hide this!Advertise here!