Balanced to Unbalanced Leads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a stereo preamplifier,which has two(2x)stereo RCA outputs(2xLeft,2xRight).It is connected to an active crossover which has 2 XLR Balanced inputs(1xLeft,1xRight).
I am presently using an adapter cable(Left RCA to Left XLR,Right RCA to Right XLR) to connect the preamp RCAs to the crossover XLRs.
What I wanted to know is: Is there a way I can utilise the two x stereo RCA outlets on the preamp to rig-up a 2x XLR(1x Left,1xRight) into the active crossover.
I am not using the 'ground' lug provided on the preamp as the phono ground.Am I able to utilise the phono ground terminal in order to separate ground and signal that a balanced XLR needs?
In other words,in the RCAs I have positive and negative signal,can I utilise the 2 Left RCAs to make 1x Left Balanced XLR, and the 2 Right RCAS to make 1x Right Balanced XLR,also utilising the ground lug to provided a separate ground?

Hi,
go to Jensen site and pull up the psuedo balanced output arrangement.

It gives balanced source impedance that will recover most of the balanced interference rejection attributes of your XLR equipment.

It only costs a couple of resistors and four capacitors. But each of these components must be matched between the poles.

Okay,this is what I did:

I got a pro-music store near to me to make-up two leads.
One end of the leads was terminated in the usual way to a female XLR.
The other end was terminated to a RCA plug for the 'hot' and 'cold' pins,and a 'flying-lead' for the ground connection(from the XLR's ground pin)was terminated in a spade-lug.
The flying-lead's spade was attached to a grounding post on the rear of the preamp.

How did it work in practice?

Excellent.No noise,hum etc.
Sounds great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.