Solder again - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2002, 01:08 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Open Your Horizons.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
.....Apart from sonics, I had almost decided to buy the type
of tin you recommend (at least the same alloy) since it is lead
free, eutectic and contains silver.
However, I then took the melting points into consideration and am not so sure anymore that lead free is so good.
Well, there are good lead-free solders with low melting points, but only for industrial use, it seems.

.....A eutectic solder will decrease the risk for cold joints, a low melting point is more component-friendly, especially for SMT components.
Proably there are more important aspects, and trade-offs to consider, which is why I ask for opinons and experiences.
Christer,
96S has about 30*C higher melting point than standard 60/40 solder.
To solder it sucessfully, get the 362 rosin flux version, clean/polish the solder wire, use a varitemp iron to get just the right temperature, and be prepared to use copious amount of solder wire to flood the joint and pad area with flux, and use the tip to wick away excess molten solder.
Setting the board at an angle, using a flat ended tip, and preheating the board with a hot air gun helps very much.
With practice you will get good joints, but it is harder to do so than 60/40 solder.

One important thing to understand is that solder will dissolve and takeup contaminants from the surfaces of the materials being joined, so the first application of solder and wicking away of the excess is to properly tin the joint and dissolve away oxides, and the second application of excess solder is to further dilute any contaminants remaining and leave a visually and electrically ideal joint.

Do not be afraid of overheating and damaging components - I have resoldered probably near enough a million joints in my time and I have not caused failures yet, including SMD.

96S (96/4) and 96SC (96/3.8/0.2) I know are rather more expensive than standard solder, however I recommend that you try using it.
You will learn another sonic flavour, probably one that you have not heard before, and I am sure that you will be more than satisfied with the resultant.

Eric.

Old 6th December 2002, 01:15 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Price And Availability....

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioFreak

I've done some checking and this particular product is only available in Australia thru Farnell as they import it from the UK. Multicore (now part of Loctite) currently has no plans to introduce this product into Australia but have said that they will review this situation from time to time. So, at present, I'm stuck paying $55 / 250g.
I had a yarn today with a Loctite/Multicore guy in Sydney today.
I think he said that early next year they will probably importing heaps of 96SC for an OEM, and diverting a few reels here and there to the likes of us guys should be no problem.
He reckoned about three times the price of 60/40 solder from a wholesaler.
Remind me in future and I'll follow up further.

Eric.
Old 6th December 2002, 01:24 PM   #13
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Thanks a bunch Eric.
Old 6th December 2002, 01:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Local Dialect...

No Wuckers....

Eric.

Hide this!Advertise here!