where have all the OPA2134s gone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No!!1 You guys stole all my op amps.

Called the one distributor listed by TI as still having stock, they are out. Luckily, it appears Gengis can save me. Those 2132's cost double, and needing 22 op amps total means that would have been signficantly more.

I seriously think diyaudio has consumed the worlds supply of OPA2134.

BrianL said:
try OPA2132. It's just a better version of the same thing.

There are other distributors. Check www.ti.com for distributors and their stock.

This has been up for discussion before, without getting any answer, but do you have any idea what actually differes between the 2132 and the 2134? They have strikingly similar specs and graphs in the datasheet. Yet, there must be some fundamental difference since they are both on the market and by the same manufacturer.

mazurek said:
I've read this page on op amps before. Look at their comments on opa2132/4. It appears 2132 is a slightly nicer industrial version. I bet they're the same thing though, just binned differently.

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

OK, I have actually read that page many years ago, but forgotten that he had something to say about this. It is not clear, though, if his claim is speculation of if he has got the info from somewhere. Anyway, if he is right it is the same chip and they label the better ones as 2132 after testing, and the rest as 2134. That might explain why Sony bothered to use the 2132 in some of their more expensive CDPs.

poobah said:
The solar industry is booming right now. Electronic inventories are shifting or doubling to create RoHS product. Refined silicon for wafer or ingot feedstock is in short supply at the moment.

I have trouble getting large diodes and MOSFETS.

:(

The shortages of semiconductors come and go. A couple of years ago there was a severe shortage of flash memories when demand increased faster then they built new plants. I remember some time back around 1980 or slightly earlier when the shortage of EPROMs was so bad that one of the bigger swedish electronics companies at the time were overjoyed if they could find just one single 2708 somewhere in the world. That would mean they could at least ship one unit of a product.

BTW, our major swedish supplier of components have over 350 OPA2134 in stock, so if anyone is really really desperate... :)

Hm, maybe they bought up the stock? Nah, 350 is too few. :)

Yes, but also remember that sometimes those suppliers that you might usually avoid becuase they are expensive might have what you are looking for. Sometimes their higher prices are are becuase they keep more in stock. i think that might be one of the reasons Elfa here in Sweden have a lot of OPA2134 in stock. It was the same thing a few years ago. Everybody over at your side of the Atlantic complained about the shortage and delivery times of MAX038, and at the same time Elfa had a lot in stock. Of course it would seem silly if americans had to buy american ICs from a swedish supplier though. :)

Funny you mention Maxim... I made the mistake of designing some of their parts into a circuit... never again! They have almost no inventory. Cool parts here and there...

Thats fine for someone who needs 100,000, but for industrial designs where you might need 100 or 1000... forget it.

poobah said:
Funny you mention Maxim... I made the mistake of designing some of their parts into a circuit... never again! They have almost no inventory. Cool parts here and there...

Thats fine for someone who needs 100,000, but for industrial designs where you might need 100 or 1000... forget it.

And on top of that, they had a truckload of chips stolen somewhere in Asia a while ago, as jackinnij posted about. But yes, there seems to be a lot of complaints about the availability of Maxim ICs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.