Cap from Electronic Concept - The best in the world?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have mentioned Electronic Concept before. Here is picture of this splendid but expensive cap.

How does it sound? I have no idea the the electrical performance is something else. Check current capability! Check the wires!

http://www.eci-capacitors.com/

Attachments

• ec_cap.jpg
    ec_cap.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,006
peranders said:

Maybe it's good to have low losses. Can't be bad anyhow. They look also very "serious". Check the wires! Almost bizarre :att'n:

Actually I think some people claim that low losses and dielectric absorbtion is some of the key parameters to a good sounding cap. That is why, according to some people and quite possibly the same bunch, that industrial high quality and mil-spec caps (or other components) are likely to be as good as or better than many so called Audiophile parts. Not my word though but I cannot deny that it does make some sense.

Do I get Epcos group by Deja Vu?

UrSv said:
Actually I think some people claim that low losses and dielectric absorbtion is some of the key parameters to a good sounding cap.
Isn't dielectric absorbtion only a DC parameter, nothing to do with AC or audio? Isn't dielectric absorbtion something many have heard of but only a few knows what's all about? I noticed this in a ADC I built long time ago. I got a DC-offset in reading when I switched polarity of the input signal.

I have a good article about it from National but I can't find it right now.

I think that the concept of DA having an influence on the sound of a cap is similar to the hysteresis effect a transformer has. By having the absorbtion it will "remember" part of the signal and this will cause a type of distortion when a dynamic signal is passing through. I suspect most problems associated to DA are for instrumental operation and mostly integrators it seems where you even have to pay attention to the direction of caps normally treated as non-directional (non-polarized).

So selecting a cap that has very low losses and very low DA, often resulting in high-spec industrial or mil-spec cap, could possibly result in a better sounding cap than randomly choosing an Audiophile cap.

At least so it would seem to me.

Long time has gone since I started this thread and only Jocko seems to have used this brand, Electronic Concept. This capacitor isn't sold as "audiophile" so therefore you wont see it overpriced as some other brands. Not that this capacitor is cheap. It's one of the most expensive in the professional business but mention any other capacitor with higher electrical performance.

TNT said:
Are these for speaker x-over?

Which one on this page are You using ??

http://www.eci-capacitors.com/ECI_products.htm

BR /
Those caps will very much likely work very good in crossovers if you can get hold of them.

I have never used them but was going to in a SMPS and in the power factor correction section.

Check the picture in the first post for the type of cap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.