Where to buy IRF mosfet in Hong Kong? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2002, 06:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Where to buy IRF mosfet in Hong Kong?

I'll be in Hong Kong from 28 - 31 Dec 2002 for a vacation, and would like to buy some IRF 044 mosfet for Pass' ZenV4, and probably some Black Gate caps. I would also like to buy some wool felt for speaker damping material.

Do you guys know where I could buy those animals in Hong Kong? I'll be staying in Patterson Street (on Lantau Island, if I'm not mistaken...).

Thanks for the help!
Old 2nd December 2002, 06:52 AM   #2
CY is offline CY
diyAudio Member

The IR Mosfet can be found in "Welfare" at Apliu Street. Take the MTR from where U live in Patterson Street in Causeway Bay (in Hong Kong Island, not Lautau). The shop opens at around 11:00am and close at around 7:00pm. You may not be able to find the exact part number for you ZenV4. I've tried before. But there are many other IR MOSFETs of similar rating. How good they will perform in HiFI amp, I don't know yet.

Have a look at http://www.hktubeaudio.homestead.com...Apliu_tube.htm

Welfare is at approx opposite to circle 5.

While U are there. Check out "Wing Shing" at aprox. circle 3 and 6. They have a good stock of HiFi parts.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your shopping.

CY
Old 2nd December 2002, 07:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello CY,
She-she (thank you.... I don't know how to spell it, but I heard it in some chines movies)!

I will check it out.

Cheers,
Old 2nd December 2002, 07:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

CY,
I forgot to ask.... Are those shops open on 28 - 31 dec? Also, do you know where I could find Vince Dickason book on Loudspeaker building, and some Speaker Building or AudioXpress magazine? Kun Yee store probably?

Thanks a ton, man!
Old 2nd December 2002, 08:10 AM   #5
CY is offline CY
diyAudio Member

I do feel the shops willl open on those days, may be close a bit ealirer on 31 Dec.

I remember there are some books on the 1/F of Welfare. Mostly they are data books or on electronic theory. Loudpspeaker books and its DIY, I doubt. But no harm to check it out while U are there.

I find it easier to check the books at Amazon and order them via the local university bookstore.

For blackgate capacitors, I am not sure it is cheaper to buy them in HK. I was told by one shop over there that the 10,000uF 63V (or 50V??) blackgate will set me $150US. Too expensive for me. BTW, what brand of capacitor U are going to use for your ZenV4 output. I am interested as mine is only half built.

CY
Old 2nd December 2002, 08:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

BLACKGATE and ELNA caps from these shops in HK
are NOS only
They have been stocked for more than 5 yrs
Old 2nd December 2002, 09:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CY

For blackgate capacitors, I am not sure it is cheaper to buy them in HK. I was told by one shop over there that the 10,000uF 63V (or 50V??) blackgate will set me $150US. Too expensive for me. BTW, what brand of capacitor U are going to use for your ZenV4 output. I am interested as mine is only half built.

CY
WHAT?! 150 bucks a piece? My wife will kill me.... Well, then, I probably just use ordinary caps then. Btw, thanks for the valuable info on Black gate cap price. CY, how bout IRF9610 and IRF610 for the BOZ (or BOSOZ)? Is it easy to find in HK?

Thanks!
Old 3rd December 2002, 01:10 AM   #8
CY is offline CY
diyAudio Member

Hi Sianturi,

Regarding the IRF610 and the like, once again I am not sure. But there definitely would be some replacement parts, electrically I mean, may not be sonically.

If I pay them a visit before you go for holiday, I'll check them out and send you a message.

Regarding your thinking of using ordinary cap, as the ZenV4 being so simple in topology, I tend to think its sonic superiority would rely on good components.

But budget is budget, I got the ordinary Rubycon for ~$9US.
Old 3rd December 2002, 07:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello CY!

Thanks for your help. If you could check the availability of IRF 9610 and IRF 610, I REALLY appreciate it! But if you're busy, don't bother....

Regarding the C4 output caps (10 uF) i'd probably use 2 x 5 uF in Paralel using Auricaps. I can get 5uF Auricaps for US$ 16.9 a piece, here in Indonesia. If you're interested, I can bring the caps for you, and you can pay me in HK.

About the 10,000 uF electrolytic caps (C1), I will first use ordinary rubycon, and as time goes by and money permits, I will upgrade it. US$150 is half my salary... (Yeah... I'm living in a third world country )

Just tell me if you want me to bring the auricaps....

Cheers,
Old 3rd December 2002, 08:26 AM   #10
CY is offline CY
diyAudio Member

Hello Arthur,

Do U know the NOS capacitors are real and good or not? Deserve that price tag??

Hide this!Advertise here!