Metal Oxide vs flamme proof vs metal film - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2006, 09:49 PM   #11
rdf is online now rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

The old carbon comps I've collected through the years showed another undesirable tendency, soaking up moisture. Unless you're sure how they were stored for the last few decades it's best just avoiding them. A pile of NOS Ohmites which sat since the Seventies at a transmitter site boiled when soldered. Baking them at just above 100C for half an hour was educational. They were all encased in a crystalline brown shell afterwards.
Old 24th June 2006, 10:18 PM   #12
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi rdf,
Quote:
The old carbon comps I've collected through the years showed another undesirable tendency, soaking up moisture.
Yes. You will see some were coated to prevent that.

As with wrenchone, I just avoid the silly overpriced things. Old ones are often out of tolerance by now anyway.

-Chris
Old 24th June 2006, 10:28 PM   #13
ostie01 is offline ostie01  Canada
diyAudio Member

So , when you see on ebay Allen Bradly resistor selling sometime for $1.00 each, better let them for others.
Old 24th June 2006, 10:30 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Yup.
Old 24th June 2006, 11:43 PM   #15
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah... if I'm gonna spend a buck on a resistor it better be a Dale RN60C 0.1% metal film... and there better be 2 of them!

And don't buy little stuff like that off fleabay. Mouser is great company for small orders AND, you know what you are buying!
Old 25th June 2006, 12:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Hi poobah,
I have to agree with you. Mouser has very poor shipping to Canada though. They ought to have a good look at Digikey. Those guys have it all together for shipping.

I refuse to do the 100% incoming quality inspection that carbon resistors would require. No thanks.

-Chris
Old 25th June 2006, 12:39 AM   #17
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

You know,

I have spent at least $100,000 at DigiKey for hundreds of line items over the last 2 years. They have not screwed up ONE thing... EVER.
Old 25th June 2006, 05:59 AM   #18
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes carbon resistors are noisy (for very early stages in an amp), and they are less refined in other ways. They are known for adding a 2nd harmonic and a warm sound. This is distortion but it is a matter of taste.

Putting carbon films throughout an amp might be hasty, maybe even a little irresponsible. A well placed single carbon resistor can be used as a tuning tool to tweak the sound of an amp. For example, as the plate load for a driver stage.

Inconsistencies are a problem for industry, but not for DIYers.
Old 25th June 2006, 11:58 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Irresponsible? I don't buy that. Irresponsible is making unsafe recommendations to the audio community here. A preference for a given resistor type is a matter of taste, nothing more. Some of us don't think that carbon comps are worth the trouble. That's our taste, or a descision based on other practical considerations. That's all.
Old 25th June 2006, 12:09 PM   #20
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ok, I believe that was a bad choice of words on my behalf (to say irresponsible).

I did want to offer that choosing carbon resistors was a valid choice when well thought out. This thread appeared to be missing that angle.

I also wanted to say I agree with the common sense already mentioned in this thread.

BTW, I have used both types exclusively.

Hide this!Advertise here!