Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default NE5532AP upgrade / voltage considerations

Excuse a first posting on what for many of you may be a tired subject - I've searched the archives here, but can't quite nail what I'm looking for...

My first halting steps on the DIY path are component upgrades in a Musical Fidelity X-DacV3, amongst these I'd like to upgrade the analogue output op-amps: NE5532APs

I've seen countless assorted recommendations, but checking the data sheets of a few I notice most can cope with maximum voltages of between 12 and 22 volts, depending on model.

The MF DAC has a 24 volt power supply - though I don't know what the voltage is at the output - I'm without a meter at present but guess I'd better play safe and assume this voltage may reach the op-amps...

With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations for bullet-proof dual op-amps as drop-in replacements for this application?

churz, eofs
Old 15th June 2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Why bother possibly not considering op-amps which might actually be fine when you measure the supply? A meter is 5 these days and is an essential toolkit item.

Why do you think the PSU is 24V? op-amp supplies are specified in terms of split rails so 22V is actually a total of 44V. But is your PSU split or single-ended?
Old 15th June 2006, 04:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
Why bother possibly not considering op-amps which might actually be fine when you measure the supply?
Given I'm very new to this malarkey I prefer to build in plenty of over-spec "padding" in any changes I may make until such time as I understand exactly what's going on... Sure, I can, and will, wait until I have some metric results, but I imagined there was no harm asking...

Quote:
A meter is 5 these days and is an essential toolkit item.
No doubt, but I don't actually want to rush out and buy the first Maplins cheapie I set eyes on... Again, I'd rather understand better what will be useful to me, and make sure I don't simply have to go out and re-buy in 3 months time.

Quote:
... Why do you think the PSU is 24V?
...er, because it says so...

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful reply.

churz, eofs
Old 15th June 2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I admire your considered approach

My point was where does it say 24V? Because 24V on the transformer means a whole different kettle of fish to 24V on the PCB near a regulator chip, for example.
Old 15th June 2006, 07:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
I admire your considered approach

My point was where does it say 24V? Because 24V on the transformer means a whole different kettle of fish to 24V on the PCB near a regulator chip, for example.

Ah, yes so I belatedly gather: will check the voltage regulators and then have a good cry!

cheers, eofs
Old 16th June 2006, 04:24 PM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
go ahead and buy a cheap and cheerful DMM (no bells or whistles). Look for decent accuracy on some of the DC ranges.
Do without transistor checker, frequency, continuity, capacitance, inductance,

You need ,
DC volts 2000mV to 600V
AC volts 2000mVac to 300Vac
Resistance 200r to 10M
Slightly wider ranges would be an advantage.

If and when you want to delve deeper and are prepared to budget for decent test gear, then decide what kind of test equipment is needed to suit your intended purposes.
Old 16th June 2006, 05:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrew, that's most helpful

churz, eofs
Old 16th June 2006, 05:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'll second Andrew's recommendation. Having more than one DMM comes in very handy quite often.
Old 16th June 2006, 05:22 PM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Quote:
(no bells or whistles).
should that have been a nor?

Hide this!Advertise here!