NE5532AP upgrade / voltage considerations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Excuse a first posting on what for many of you may be a tired subject - I've searched the archives here, but can't quite nail what I'm looking for... :xeye:

My first halting steps on the DIY path are component upgrades in a Musical Fidelity X-DacV3, amongst these I'd like to upgrade the analogue output op-amps: NE5532APs

I've seen countless assorted recommendations, but checking the data sheets of a few I notice most can cope with maximum voltages of between 12 and 22 volts, depending on model.

The MF DAC has a 24 volt power supply - though I don't know what the voltage is at the output - I'm without a meter at present :eek: but guess I'd better play safe and assume this voltage may reach the op-amps...

With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations for bullet-proof dual op-amps as drop-in replacements for this application?

churz, eofs

richie00boy said:
Why bother possibly not considering op-amps which might actually be fine when you measure the supply?

Given I'm very new to this malarkey I prefer to build in plenty of over-spec "padding" in any changes I may make until such time as I understand exactly what's going on... Sure, I can, and will, wait until I have some metric results, but I imagined there was no harm asking...

A meter is £5 these days and is an essential toolkit item.

No doubt, but I don't actually want to rush out and buy the first Maplins cheapie I set eyes on... Again, I'd rather understand better what will be useful to me, and make sure I don't simply have to go out and re-buy in 3 months time.

... Why do you think the PSU is 24V?

...er, because it says so...

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful reply.

churz, eofs

Hi,
go ahead and buy a cheap and cheerful DMM (no bells or whistles). Look for decent accuracy on some of the DC ranges.
Do without transistor checker, frequency, continuity, capacitance, inductance,

You need ,
DC volts 2000mV to 600V
AC volts 2000mVac to 300Vac
Resistance 200r to 10M
Slightly wider ranges would be an advantage.

If and when you want to delve deeper and are prepared to budget for decent test gear, then decide what kind of test equipment is needed to suit your intended purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.