where to put wires on volume control pot - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2006, 08:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default where to put wires on volume control pot

yea...what wire goes where? im using the volume control pot you can get from radioshack.
Old 14th June 2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Turn control down to minimum setting. Measure put ohm meter on middle pin and see which other pin read 0 ohms. The one that shows 0 ohms is the 'common' pin where both input screen and output screen connect to. The input signal connects to the opposite pin and the output signal connects to the middle pin.
Old 14th June 2006, 08:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

...huh? idk, the pot has 6 pins on it, i dont really know how to work with audio pots. where do i put the red black and white wires? thats how the old pot worked.
Old 14th June 2006, 09:27 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
are the six pins in two groups of three?
You will probably find each group of three are in a row.
Each three group will be dedicated to one channel.
Now go and follow those instructions again.
Old 14th June 2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The 6 pins are in 2 rows of 3. I am talking about a row of 3. One row will be left and the other right. As for the wire colours they could be anything the manufacturer felt like. Time for you to trace where they go in your amp.
Old 14th June 2006, 09:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

You probably should be fine if you just connect it exactly the same way as the old pot was. You did mark the wires before you removed the old one, didn't you?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 14th June 2006, 11:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

ok here, i got some pictures of exactly what i want...maybe this will make things easier.

this is the old setup. a very simple line in, line out with the volume contril pot in the center.

Click the image to open in full size.

this is the old pot.

these are the cables.

this is the new pot.

what im trying to do it replace the old pot, on the left, with the new pot, on the right.

Old 14th June 2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

It looks like the new pot is single gang so will only control one channel.

It also appears to me that the board the jack plugs into already has a volume control, not to mention the iPod itself has a volume control as well. Why do you want so many controls?
Old 14th June 2006, 12:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You can make things a lot easier for yourself if you take both the cables in the last pic and simply connect them together. Then just use the volume control on the iPod.

If you insist on using a pot, you will need to purchase a dual gang pot. What you have there looks like a single gang pot with on/off switch or something else, but not dual gang.
Old 14th June 2006, 11:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

the reason i need another volume control is because the one on the board is a bass control for the subwoofer, and im going to be using the ipod dock for this project, so i cant control it from the ipod. nvm ill just go to a real electronic store, i didnt go there cuz they close early :<

Hide this!Advertise here!