DIY 12V Delay - Possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is indeed an aftermarket device which closes the windows when the ignition is switched off, if you prefer to buy one.
It would be a simple project to design and build, though (555 and thyristor comes to my old-school mind, but no doubt some would use a PIC etc.) Just bear in mind that car batteries can produce dangerous amounts of current - fuse appropriately!

Here is a simple shematic.
This one is for delaying the door lights and fits across one of the door switches. Modify it to suit your reqs.

Gajanan Phadte

Attachments

• delay light.jpg
    delay light.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 146
The circuit posted by Gmphadte whilst perfect for holding up interior lights is not suitable for providing a delay for power windows. I can think of 2 main reasons for this.

1. The currents drawn by the motors on startup will far exceed the capability of the 2N3055 and probably destroy it. During the fade-out period of this circuit, the current drawn by the motor will actually increase (especially when it finally stalls).

2. The back EMF will probably destroy the transistor, and because of the polarity reversal on these motors (up/down) it is not easy to fix.

A relay is the safest way to solve this and the circuit attached is what I had in mind. Simple I know, but if only rough timing is required then it's adequate and cheap.

Choose R1 & C1 to achieve the delay required.

Cheers

Attachments

• power delay.gif
    power delay.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 77
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.