Capacitor Burn-In/Break-In - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2006, 12:58 AM   #11
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

OK,

Now bring 'round full circle... remove the additional Teflons and let's see what happens.

This is curious... and I don't habitually argue with scopes...

What are the values of teflons and the lytics?
Old 13th June 2006, 01:02 AM   #12
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

How about the memory effect, like with CRT's. Could there be some initial need to 'fill the cracks'? And then there is the way that plastic is when new. It gives off odours but under the right circumstances will 'dry out'?
Old 13th June 2006, 01:08 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Exactly,

But is a memory effect occuring in the electrolytics, or the teflons???

Old 13th June 2006, 01:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Let's see. Differences in the waveforms over time may just be differing noise on your power lines coming in. Did the refrigerator kick on? Maybe the elevator in your apartment building? Garbage in, garbage out, as it were...

As for spikes that are here now and gone later... was the power switch thrown at exactly the same phase angle on the power line waveform? If you happen to flip the switch near a zero crossing, you might not see a spike that you will see when you flip the switch when the voltage happens to peak.

I know it doesn't sound nearly as technical or romantic as capacitor burn-in, but either of these phenomena might be explained by your test leads failing to make a tight connection.

There are many possible explanations for what you see, capacitor burn-in is just one. With a test that has so many uncontrolled variables, I don't think it is possible to say exactly what is the cause of the variations you have seen.

I_F
Old 13th June 2006, 02:13 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

2 points to the happy goat,

Where these spikes coming from anyway?

Old 13th June 2006, 03:13 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I_F, you're in some way out orbit. Great scattershot set of suggestions, mate.
Old 13th June 2006, 04:49 AM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, you've got something interesting to chase down. First thing I'd do is figure out what the cause is, without deciding in advance that it's the caps (or not the caps!). That will take a lot of probing around. Once the source of the change is identified, then it's worth trying to figure out a mechanism, but not before.

Just sayin', is all.
Old 13th June 2006, 05:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I hate to appear negative but this experiment will have to be repeated quite a few times with both new and broken in caps before any claims can be made. Seeing it clear as day on the scope, just like that? Too good to be true
Old 13th June 2006, 03:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I changed the rectifier bridge from the old, heavy workhorse (circa. 1985) to a new, sprite FRED module. No change in the spike. I also swapped out the three circuit boards, exchanging them with those in my other Elgar, and no change.

That leaves: the wiring, the two banks of output transistors, and the transformer.

And the capacitors.

Here's today's visual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg four.jpg (96.7 KB, 847 views)
Old 14th June 2006, 05:26 AM   #20
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You know, there are a lot of people who say they have been abducted and anally probed by aliens, say they talk to jesus and he talks back, and say they have sure-fire can't-miss methods to beat the odds in Vegas. Just because a bunch of people say similar things doesn't mean there is anything "scientific" in what they are saying.
Two different types of people, the types you mention and those of us who listen carefully and often and can perceive differences in components and the process of break-in.

Quote:
For some reason the majority of people in the US voted W into office, not once, but twice! What does that tell you about the wisdom of the masses?
They are reasonable people. He was obviously the better choice. Gore? Kerry?! Come on ....

John

Hide this!Advertise here!