Toroidal power supply transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2006, 08:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Toroidal power supply transformers

anyone know where to order replacement transformers to upgrade a sub plate amp with reasonable prices? Thanks!
Old 11th June 2006, 09:55 AM   #2
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

what value transformer do you need?
Old 11th June 2006, 11:34 AM   #3
escotte is offline escotte  United States
diyAudio Member

Default buying toroidal transformers

Check out Parts Express:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=278&CFID=691041&CFTO KEN=54915087
Old 11th June 2006, 11:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

What makes you think it needs upgrading?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st June 2006, 06:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks for all the replys! i've been away sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. the reason i thought i'd upgrade trannys is, i built a home sub using the dayton audio dvc 15 sub which is stated to have 2.6 ohm DC resistance (coils in paralell) and the rythmik audio basic 250 i'm running it on in a 4.7 cu ft. vented enclosure recommends not to use a driver in a vented enclosure with less than 3.0 ohms DC resistance to reduce chances of thermal shut down as often. i then talked to djk who said the best approach to beefing up the impeadance drive capabilitys would be larger VA rating same secondary or, the same VA with less secondary output voltage. his example 96v. secondary, use same VA but reduce to 80 volt secondary. can't find info on present tranny but he estimated maybe 250 or 300 VA i haven't checked secondary no load voltage yet but will. the power consumption rating on the 250 watt rythmik audio basic plate amp is 450 watts. 120v hope this helps thanks!
Old 21st June 2006, 06:47 PM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
would it be silly to suggest you put a plate amp on each voice coil?

Each then only has to drive, effectively, an 8ohm speaker and it should perform well at that, since currents are cut massively.
Old 21st June 2006, 08:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

you know, i had 150 watt driving it for awhile i should have got another just like that. i thought about it, might have worked pretty good! i may get another 150 watter since their so cheap later on. thanks for the reply

Hide this!Advertise here!