White, Ultra Bright LED recommendtaions??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am attempting to build my own Hight Definition telecine.

A telecine is a machine wher you can transfer motion picture film to video.

One of the problems I am having is illuminating the film.

The machine I am going to run the film on is lit with an incandescent bulb and the results can be seen in the attached image.

I need to substitute this bulb with an array or ultra bright white LEDs but do not know where to start looking.

Can anyone help?

What are the most reilable, highest quality? Where can I get them?

Thank you in advance. :)

Attachments

• mvc-194f.jpg
    mvc-194f.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 257
Well you will want a reasonably uniform output over the entire frame, so depending on the distance to the slide and the slide dimensions you can figure out the light angle pretty easy. Many high brightness LEDs get their high numbers by having a narrow pattern.
I would think that the luxeon LEDs that were mentioned earlier would be plenty bright and depending on the model they can have a very wide pattern. Another benefit is that they offer a "warm white" color that might make the image a little more appealing over the normal white LED light

Try Lamina LED arrays .
We had one of the little RGB ones to play with - couldn't look at it!

An RGB array would let you fine tune the color balance. And they're available from Digikey at a reasonable price.

I've seen Osrams Dragons too - they're astonishingly bright. Sadly the rep wouldn't give us a sample :(

Diffusers: ground glass, opal acrylic, glass beads mixed with epoxy (this one is used in diffused LEDs), holographic diffuser film ($$), tracing paper ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.