Using 8.4V AC adaptor instead of 7.4V - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2006, 03:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Using 8.4V AC adaptor instead of 7.4V

Hi;
I have a Canon S2 digital camera, and wanted to use 3rd parity AC adaptor with it.

Original adaptor's output : DC 7.4V 2A
3rd parity adaptor's output : DC 8.4V 1.5A

Do you think will it (extra 1V & -0.5A) damage the Canon S2 ?

Thx in advance.
Old 7th June 2006, 05:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Personally, I'd stick with the factory rated requirements. An extra volt coult really cook the batteries you are recharging.

-David
Old 7th June 2006, 05:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083
Personally, I'd stick with the factory rated requirements. An extra volt coult really cook the batteries you are recharging.

-David
Thx for responding me. Actually it does not charge the batteries simultaneously, if you meant that.
Old 8th June 2006, 09:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Amperage...

Guys I found another AC/DC adaptor with voltage adjustment feature. It could give 7.5V / 300mA...

However, original adaptor's amperage value was 2A...

Do you think will it run my Canon S2 camera without any damage ?
Old 8th June 2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think it'll damage the camera, but I would expect the camera to fry that power adaptor in pretty quick order. You're looking at greater than 6 times the current need for the camera! You need to get both numbers as close as possible, not just one or the other. Of the two, its safe to go larger on the amperage with no damage, but not lower. Lower will damage the power supply, and when it goes, who knows if it'll decide to take part of the camera with it? For voltage, you want to be as close as possible.

Judging from the power requirements, I'm gathering its a video camera and not a still camera, and that you've lost or killed the original AC adaptor, correct? I believe Radio Shack has some nice switch mode adpators that may fit the bill, but I didn't look to see where you're located to say for sure.
Old 8th June 2006, 01:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schaef
I don't think it'll damage the camera, but I would expect the camera to fry that power adaptor in pretty quick order. You're looking at greater than 6 times the current need for the camera! You need to get both numbers as close as possible, not just one or the other. Of the two, its safe to go larger on the amperage with no damage, but not lower. Lower will damage the power supply, and when it goes, who knows if it'll decide to take part of the camera with it? For voltage, you want to be as close as possible.

Judging from the power requirements, I'm gathering its a video camera and not a still camera, and that you've lost or killed the original AC adaptor, correct? I believe Radio Shack has some nice switch mode adpators that may fit the bill, but I didn't look to see where you're located to say for sure.
Thx for the reply . Actually I bought it without power adaptor, and looked in my place to get an original one, but couldn't find... BTW; I live in a paradisiacal place, with the hellhounds (which is Turkey) . I think I will not use any kind of 3rd parity adaptor, and will try to get original adaptor from somewhere, due to your suggestions.

Hide this!Advertise here!