Using 8.4V AC adaptor instead of 7.4V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't think it'll damage the camera, but I would expect the camera to fry that power adaptor in pretty quick order. You're looking at greater than 6 times the current need for the camera! You need to get both numbers as close as possible, not just one or the other. Of the two, its safe to go larger on the amperage with no damage, but not lower. Lower will damage the power supply, and when it goes, who knows if it'll decide to take part of the camera with it? For voltage, you want to be as close as possible.

Judging from the power requirements, I'm gathering its a video camera and not a still camera, and that you've lost or killed the original AC adaptor, correct? I believe Radio Shack has some nice switch mode adpators that may fit the bill, but I didn't look to see where you're located to say for sure.

Schaef said:
I don't think it'll damage the camera, but I would expect the camera to fry that power adaptor in pretty quick order. You're looking at greater than 6 times the current need for the camera! You need to get both numbers as close as possible, not just one or the other. Of the two, its safe to go larger on the amperage with no damage, but not lower. Lower will damage the power supply, and when it goes, who knows if it'll decide to take part of the camera with it? For voltage, you want to be as close as possible.

Judging from the power requirements, I'm gathering its a video camera and not a still camera, and that you've lost or killed the original AC adaptor, correct? I believe Radio Shack has some nice switch mode adpators that may fit the bill, but I didn't look to see where you're located to say for sure.

Thx for the reply ;). Actually I bought it without power adaptor, and looked in my place to get an original one, but couldn't find... BTW; I live in a paradisiacal place, with the hellhounds (which is Turkey) :). I think I will not use any kind of 3rd parity adaptor, and will try to get original adaptor from somewhere, due to your suggestions. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.