Very simple passive mixer driving me nuts. Please help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am trying to make a simple passive mixer to sum the outputs from my computer (minijack) and my DVD player (RCA out) and send them into my sub (RCA inputs). I also need the output to be cut off when I plug my headphones into to a switched jack. Diagram is attached.

Here's the problem: it works perfectly when going out to the sub (whether I plug the sub into the RCA or the jack out) but when I plug in my headphones the sound is hardly audible. I have tried various phones with the same effect. It's driving me nuts! Surely if there is sound coming out it should work for either headphones or the amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Attachments

• audio diagram.jpg
    audio diagram.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 195
Thanks Nigel. I understand now why it is WRONG. However, my headphones do work just fine straight out of the computer without an amp so I have just modified my design to put the switched jack before the mixer. Now, when I plug in the phones it cuts the computer output to the amp. The DVD player bypasses the headphone jack so DVD output is not affected when headphones are plugged in (ie I can listen either to computer output on headphones or a mix of computer and DVD through amp). Seems to work fine and no need to add another component (also works without power).

Thanks again to all who helped.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.