Eico 950B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, so I just purchased this handy piece of equipment and on my first night of using it after checking its internals out, I had an incident.
I was using the electrolytic capacitor test fuction to check leakage on a 450v 1200uf cap and once the test had completed, I turned the voltage pot to zero to discharge the cap. A second later there was a loud pop and the magic eye went out.
I found that the 560v winding of the transformer had blown open. How could this have happened?
I will try to attach the schematic but it's in djvu format. Thanks!

i just managed to do the same thing, i charged up a 2400uf 375v cap, all went, when it was fully charged i turned the voltage pot back to 0 as it says to do in the instruction manual and POP! there was a bright white spark in the tube, the green eye went out right away and there was a metalic rattle sound. i blew the 1629 tube badly, there are now things rattling arround inside, somehow the back metal case of the 100k 4 watt power potentiometer blew off and hit the back of the case and chipped the paint! my transformer seems to still be working as it should, however my power pot no longer works. anybody know where i can find a new 100k 4w wirewound pot?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.