metallized caps instead of electrolytics in a tube rectifier power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no metallized caps instead of electrolytics in a tube rectifier power supply?

has anyone tried it?

someone recently sent me a schematic of a supply that uses 30uF metallized caps.

I was surprised as my limited knowledge though I need to use electrolytics for power supplies.

any thoughts on this?

thank you for the replies

There are good and bad examples of each type of cap, naturally. But in my experience, the difference is definately worth it.

For one thing, many electrolytics I have tried seem to have subtle resonance issues in the upper midrange when used in my amps. The film caps seem to be better in this respect.

Also, when using the film caps, they seem to open up the sound. They seem to give it a higher level of clarity.

The circuits I build are typically sensitive to the power supply and your mileage may vary. I also use motor run caps.

Hi,
my best pre-amp is a solid state with no ICs and NO ELECTROLYTICS anywhere.

I think the main reason it sounds so good is film caps everywhere.

I am looking for a compact film cap to replace the smoothing cap in my Croft Micro II special. Hoping for great things.

I was lucky enough to raid my local Tandy whilst they were going out of business. The owner had some non standard stuff in the back room he had on clearance. I use these in my speaker crossovers too.

Jaycar sells some caps that they call motor start caps (p52, 2006 cat). From what I have read, these appear more like motor run caps. Anyway, I think they sound better than electrolytics typically do, and for the price, you don't have too much to lose. :)

AFAIK, they will offer similar advantages, partly because AFAIK, they are polypropylene in oil. No doubt these are made for heavy current, but the motor runs I have dissected used foil, not metallised film. Still though, I have heard others speak highly of ASC caps.

About the screw, I have a large MKP in a similar looking package with a screw mount like this. The cap is potted. I don't think the screw can be removed without sawing or damaging the package.

lndm said:
AFAIK, they will offer similar advantages, partly because AFAIK, they are polypropylene in oil. No doubt these are made for heavy current, but the motor runs I have dissected used foil, not metallised film. Still though, I have heard others speak highly of ASC caps.

I would think ASC would be heaps better than what you can get from the local jaycar store :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use ASC polypro in oil motor runs in my newest amplifier design, and have long used Solen films in high voltage supplies. Not only have I found in many instances that they sound better than electrolytics, but their service lives should be much longer as well. I have not had to replace a film cap yet, but in some instances have been through several rounds of EL replacements.

The one disadvantage of course is the huge size. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.