Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2006, 06:33 PM   #1
wuffer is offline wuffer  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default what rca socket do you think is best??

there is lots of rca sockets on the market and i cant decide wich im going to use in my tube preamp..
the one i have now is just some cheap sockets and i dont think they are good at all
Old 18th May 2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

wuffer,

I believe you can't go wrong with Neutrik.

/Hugo
Old 18th May 2006, 08:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Vampire gold over copper. Might not be as durable as rhodium but sound way better.
Old 18th May 2006, 11:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

what rca socket do you think is best?

The version with the two bayonette studs on the sides and a constant throughput impedance called BNC connectors!

Frankly I am amazed that audio and home video didn't adopt and standardize to the F connector system because it is even cheaper than the garbage the RCA is.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 19th May 2006, 12:33 AM   #5
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by Netlist
wuffer,

I believe you can't go wrong with Neutrik.

/Hugo

These are really nice connectors. I like them alot. Easy to use great sound and best of all they don't break your wallet..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19047.jpg (31.0 KB, 495 views)
Old 21st May 2006, 11:51 PM   #6
dfdye is offline dfdye  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim
The version with the two bayonette studs on the sides and a constant throughput impedance called BNC connectors!
AMEN!!!!!

I have often wondered why the heck nobody uses BNC's as interconnects, even for boutique applications. They are convenient, rugged, have a great signal transfer record. . . .

C'est la Vie
Old 22nd May 2006, 03:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

Quote:
Originally posted by dfdye
AMEN!!!!!

I have often wondered why the heck nobody uses BNC's as interconnects, even for boutique applications.
In a word "inertia". Home entertainment audio got started with this so called half baked RCA connector system and has stayed there. Note that pro-audio does NOT USE RCA connectors and television studios do not use RCA connectors for the miles of internal video distribution cabling.

Renowned audio inventor and engineer Richard S. Burwin has his 20,000 watt home hi-fi all wired with BNC connectors. I use them on developmental stuff in the lab and only switch to RCA in the version that goes into the home only because everything that I have to connect to is RCA based. Being too lazy to pull apart every piece of consumer gear that I don't make myself to change out the connectors, not an easy job, I guess makes me part of the problem.
You have to choose your battles.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 22nd May 2006, 04:27 AM   #8
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim

In a word "inertia". Home entertainment audio got started with this so called half baked RCA connector system and has stayed there. Note that pro-audio does NOT USE RCA connectors and television studios do not use RCA connectors for the miles of internal video distribution cabling.

Renowned audio inventor and engineer Richard S. Burwin has his 20,000 watt home hi-fi all wired with BNC connectors. I use them on developmental stuff in the lab and only switch to RCA in the version that goes into the home only because everything that I have to connect to is RCA based. Being too lazy to pull apart every piece of consumer gear that I don't make myself to change out the connectors, not an easy job, I guess makes me part of the problem.
You have to choose your battles.

Switching your audio gear to BNC would be a pain in the A$$ and cost money and take lot's of time. No point doing it if you have rca's already.

BUT what you can do is make you're cables better right.

I just bought a few pairs of cables off ebay WHY you might ask? Because i want to know what people are selling and trying to fool people with. So i bu a few set's cut one open to see lots of hotglue and a cheap CRAP connector well. I can see why people put others down for making cables and selling them.

It's a lesson learned never beleve what people say. That is exactly why i started making cables. Low proffit and low prices. Why? To help people buy better cables and show them they are getting what they pay for. People dont need to go out and spend 500$ ona power cord. Does it really do something ? HUmm some times i wonder that too.

Jase
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:38 AM   #9
dfdye is offline dfdye  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I still have not found a better interconnect cable than RG-58, though I must admit to mostly using guitar cable in my own gear since I found a really good deal on a spool a while ago and haven't used it all up.

[thinking outloud]I wonder if I can find some high quality RG-58/RCA crimp connectors like what I am used to with BNC's. It sure would make putting cables together a breeze! No soldering!![/thinking outloud]

Going back to the original post, I just got some dirt cheap ones from ApexJr (plug! those guys are great to deal with) and they seem to be doing just fine. They aren't great, but I have never seen the point on spending big bucks on jacks. I would rather spend the money on new drivers. Still, no problems for less than a buck a piece. (I put these on my test rig, so they have gotten a ton of wear and tear.)

If I were you, I would find a pair that are mechanically decent and run with them. Most of the distinctions are hype anyway (as I strap on my flame suit ). I would recommend something with a corrosion resistant coating and an insulated body, but those are about the only two paramaters I look at. As a for example, these are very similar to other jacks I have used in the past with excellent results. Good luck finding something you like.
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Of course, if you'd like to break your wallet, have a look at Lemo Camac. (also for RG-58) Some joint in Middletown, Connecticut, had a thing for them too. If you can't find a retailer on this side of the drop you could try Percy A.

Hide this!Advertise here!