what rca socket do you think is best??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what rca socket do you think is best?

The version with the two bayonette studs on the sides and a constant throughput impedance called BNC connectors!

Frankly I am amazed that audio and home video didn't adopt and standardize to the F connector system because it is even cheaper than the garbage the RCA is.

Netlist said:
wuffer,

I believe you can't go wrong with Neutrik.

/Hugo :)

These are really nice connectors. I like them alot. Easy to use great sound and best of all they don't break your wallet..

Attachments

• 19047.jpg
    19047.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 591
Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

rcavictim said:
The version with the two bayonette studs on the sides and a constant throughput impedance called BNC connectors!
AMEN!!!!!

I have often wondered why the heck nobody uses BNC's as interconnects, even for boutique applications. They are convenient, rugged, have a great signal transfer record. . . .

C'est la Vie

Re: Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

dfdye said:
AMEN!!!!!

I have often wondered why the heck nobody uses BNC's as interconnects, even for boutique applications.

In a word "inertia". Home entertainment audio got started with this so called half baked RCA connector system and has stayed there. Note that pro-audio does NOT USE RCA connectors and television studios do not use RCA connectors for the miles of internal video distribution cabling.

Renowned audio inventor and engineer Richard S. Burwin has his 20,000 watt home hi-fi all wired with BNC connectors. I use them on developmental stuff in the lab and only switch to RCA in the version that goes into the home only because everything that I have to connect to is RCA based. Being too lazy to pull apart every piece of consumer gear that I don't make myself to change out the connectors, not an easy job, I guess makes me part of the problem.
You have to choose your battles.

Re: Re: Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

rcavictim said:

In a word "inertia". Home entertainment audio got started with this so called half baked RCA connector system and has stayed there. Note that pro-audio does NOT USE RCA connectors and television studios do not use RCA connectors for the miles of internal video distribution cabling.

Renowned audio inventor and engineer Richard S. Burwin has his 20,000 watt home hi-fi all wired with BNC connectors. I use them on developmental stuff in the lab and only switch to RCA in the version that goes into the home only because everything that I have to connect to is RCA based. Being too lazy to pull apart every piece of consumer gear that I don't make myself to change out the connectors, not an easy job, I guess makes me part of the problem.
You have to choose your battles.

Switching your audio gear to BNC would be a pain in the A$$ and cost money and take lot's of time. No point doing it if you have rca's already.

BUT what you can do is make you're cables better right.

I just bought a few pairs of cables off ebay WHY you might ask? Because i want to know what people are selling and trying to fool people with. So i bu a few set's cut one open to see lots of hotglue and a cheap CRAP connector :( well. I can see why people put others down for making cables and selling them.

It's a lesson learned never beleve what people say. That is exactly why i started making cables. Low proffit and low prices. Why? To help people buy better cables and show them they are getting what they pay for. People dont need to go out and spend 500$ ona power cord. Does it really do something ? HUmm some times i wonder that too.

Jase

Well, I still have not found a better interconnect cable than RG-58, though I must admit to mostly using guitar cable in my own gear since I found a really good deal on a spool a while ago and haven't used it all up. :D

[thinking outloud]I wonder if I can find some high quality RG-58/RCA crimp connectors like what I am used to with BNC's. It sure would make putting cables together a breeze! No soldering!![/thinking outloud]

Going back to the original post, I just got some dirt cheap ones from ApexJr (plug! those guys are great to deal with) and they seem to be doing just fine. They aren't great, but I have never seen the point on spending big bucks on jacks. I would rather spend the money on new drivers. Still, no problems for less than a buck a piece. (I put these on my test rig, so they have gotten a ton of wear and tear.)

If I were you, I would find a pair that are mechanically decent and run with them. Most of the distinctions are hype anyway (as I strap on my flame suit :D). I would recommend something with a corrosion resistant coating and an insulated body, but those are about the only two paramaters I look at. As a for example, these are very similar to other jacks I have used in the past with excellent results. Good luck finding something you like.

dfdye said:

If I were you, I would find a pair that are mechanically decent and run with them. Most of the distinctions are hype anyway (as I strap on my flame suit :D). I would recommend something with a corrosion resistant coating and an insulated body, but those are about the only two paramaters I look at. As a for example, these are very similar to other jacks I have used in the past with excellent results. Good luck finding something you like.

Yes i use these and they work really well. I lke them. cheap sound good and nice looking. * only if you have bad eyes * But if you look at them closly when you put them into your chassis 99% of the time the red band on the rca jack is bigger..

jleaman said:
But if you look at them closly when you put them into your chassis 99% of the time the red band on the rca jack is bigger..
Well, THAT's a deal breaker!!! Obviously if the band is a different size, then they have a slightly different ammount of metal per jack, and then the latent capacitive inductance of the bulk metal will cause a 0.897 degree phase shift in the incoming signal!!! Totally perceptable!!! (I ran quadruple blind tests in this and because the data points made a connect the dots verson of a resistor symbol, that means I am right becasue the data had electronic significance!!))

:rolleyes:

Seriously, glad they are working for you, jleaman.

dfdye said:
Well, THAT's a deal breaker!!! Obviously if the band is a different size, then they have a slightly different ammount of metal per jack, and then the latent capacitive inductance of the bulk metal will cause a 0.897 degree phase shift in the incoming signal!!! Totally perceptable!!! (I ran quadruple blind tests in this and because the data points made a connect the dots verson of a resistor symbol, that means I am right becasue the data had electronic significance!!))

:rolleyes:

Seriously, glad they are working for you, jleaman.

Ya! they work * for now *

but im switching to something different.

jleaman said:

Yes i use these and they work really well. I lke them. cheap sound good and nice looking. * only if you have bad eyes * But if you look at them closly when you put them into your chassis 99% of the time the red band on the rca jack is bigger..

Nothing to worry about. This indicates a level of quality that most people will not clue to at first blush. The human eye is more sensitive to light in the middle of the visible spectrum where the color green appears. Our eyes are less sensitive to red reflectance than green. Black is going to be hardest to see. In poor lighting white is easiest to see, so a narrow identfying band is fine. To make the jacks equally easy to identify as for right and left channel in the awkward confines of poorly lit back of the audio rack situations these people cleverly made the jacks with a wider red band to balance the identifiability of the inputs.

Rather clever I'd say!

Re: Re: Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

rcavictim said:
Renowned audio inventor and engineer Richard S. Burwin has his 20,000 watt home hi-fi all wired with BNC connectors.

I have switched to BNCs -- and SMA's -- the connection is very secure, and with a little practice it isn't difficult to wire them up. Good BNC's or SMA connectors (and their cousins) are much less expensive than high end audio RCA's --

rcavictim said:

Nothing to worry about. This indicates a level of quality that most people will not clue to at first blush. The human eye is more sensitive to light in the middle of the visible spectrum where the color green appears. Our eyes are less sensitive to red reflectance than green. Black is going to be hardest to see. To make the jacks equally easy to identify as for right and left channel in the awkward confines of poorly lit back of the audio rack situations these people cleverly made the jacks with a wider red band to balance the identifiability of the inputs.

Rather clever I'd say!

yes i learned this too. the human eye can focus and see green at it's best. My dad was into lasers all day and still is. I learn lots from him about them. I have a really good eye for things and good hearing :)

Dad used to use my ears to help him with audio. thus why i am so into audio @ the age of 25 been doing it since 6 years old :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

jackinnj said:
I have switched to BNCs -- and SMA's --
SMA's are indeed nice, but if you are taking them on and off they get a little difficult to deal with if they are spaced closely, which is the point of using SMA's in the first place, right?? :D

Still, since I don't really swap out my RCA's that often, SMA's may be a nice option. Besides, you can always use a SMA/BNC adapter for testing!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what rca socket do you think is best??

dfdye said:
SMA's are indeed nice, but if you are taking them on and off they get a little difficult to deal with if they are spaced closely, which is the point of using SMA's in the first place, right?? :D

Still, since I don't really swap out my RCA's that often, SMA's may be a nice option. Besides, you can always use a SMA/BNC adapter for testing!!

what is sma ? Got a picture ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.