What is "swage mount"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some PCB pins that mate with a matching receptacle that I have been using.

I have just been soldering the pins to the board but I'm wondering if that's the best way. These are "swage mount" pins but I'm not sure what that means

Here is a link to the Mouser product page that has a datasheet: http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=330061&e_categoryid=46&e_pcodeid=57505

It's part number 575-310220 if that doesn't work

So, what is "swage mount", and how is it used, and is it not appropriate to just solder the pins in place?

swaging:

"Swaging is a metal forming technique in which the metal is plastically deformed to its final shape using high pressures. Swaging differs from forging in that the metal is cold worked. The term swage can apply to the process of swaging, a die used for swaging, or a tool used to swage."

In a production environment, pins need to be mechanically secured into the pcb before they are soldered. A metal jig and punch of the right size will do this automatically.

An example of the effect is a metal ring inserted into a leather belt buckle hole. The "rivet" is a "T" sectioned thin tube inserted into the hole. A flared punch is then applied to the cylindrical end which turns the rivet into a flattened doughnut (or "donut", to you :) clamping the edge of the hole.

it works like a center punch but it's hollow to fit over the pin. a swaging die goes on the other side of the pcb, the pin is inserted into the swaging tool and pressed into the board and the swaging die on the other side acts like an anvil that flares the pin cup when the swaging tool "fires" (it's a mechanical spring loaded hammer inside the tool). this process is usually used for wire wrap pins that can be inserted in a pcb. there's also a slightly different swaging process for "pogo" pins which are wire wrap pins with a hollow sleeve into which a spring loaded contact is inserted. they are used on "bed-of-nails" test fixtures where a pc board under test is pushed down onto the points on the pins and power and signal are applied to the board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.