About circuitry design, etc... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default About circuitry design, etc...

Hello everyone,

I've signed up here in search for advice. I've worked with music equipment a lot over the years, and therefore I do know a bit. I'd been considering going to school for electrical engineering, and though I started a bit late, I am still deeply interested. I used the search tool on the forums but didn't find anything sufficent for my needs. I would like advice on insightful reads regarding PCB's, circuitry design, etc. Books, websites, i've been reading things here and there for some time now, but am looking to dive into it head first.

I appreciate any help!

P.S. Sorry if you get these sorts of posts more than often.
Old 18th May 2006, 02:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I wonder if posting this particular topic in this part of the forum wasn't the wisest idea.
Old 18th May 2006, 06:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe no-one understands your question?
Old 18th May 2006, 06:48 AM   #4
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Kindly don't tell us your thoughts and doubts.... well, not at this point. Kindly just tell us, in explicit words, what you want us to give you. I think once you do that, you'll get answers.

What do you want from us?
Old 18th May 2006, 07:44 AM   #5
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Try these tutorials
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...amplifiers.htm
and the ESP site at
http://sound.westhost.com/index2.html

There are dozens of others if you learn how to use the search engine.
Old 18th May 2006, 08:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your replies.

To be more thorough, i'm looking for information on things such as the various components that are usually put onto a PCB board, how they work, how they interact with each other, how the componenets (i.e. transistors, capacitors, etc) work both on their own and in relation to eachother. I really hope this is better. Thanks!
Old 18th May 2006, 08:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Try these tutorials
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...amplifiers.htm
and the ESP site at
http://sound.westhost.com/index2.html

There are dozens of others if you learn how to use the search engine.
My apologies, and thank you for being kind and offering up these tutorials. I have been going through the search engines, but it is quite difficult sifting through all the various pages whose information is either indirect, or lacks detail. I found a few sites, but hardly were they sufficent in describing anything to the point that it was crystal clear. I come here because I am an "audiophile", and have been deeply interested in circuitry for some time. I just hoped that, because you all know so much already, you would be able to guide someone who is not so knowledgeable.

For instance, being that when I first got into sound design I had little knowledge about how one learns it. Some kind folks pointed me to a rather easy form of synthesis (subtractive synthesis), and it helped me learn the ropes.

I'll stop with all the chatter, i'm only trying to make myself as clear as possible.
Old 19th May 2006, 04:39 AM   #8
adolphe is offline adolphe  Canada
diyAudio Member

The ESP site given is very good at explaining specific topics. Projects are given with detailed explanations. When I first starting researching audio electronics, I found I ended up reading that site atleast a few times over, and I'm still referring to it constantly.

A good idea might be to pick up a textbook. I'm told the Art of Electronics (by Horowitz I believe) is extremely good. I have yet to actually get my hands on a copy though, but I plan to in the near future.

Once you feel comfortable with the theory and background, I would tackle a project like one from www.passdiy.com . Check the Pass Labs on this forum for help if you need it. Once you've built some circuits that are proven and you know how they work in detail, then start applying your knowledge to your own designs and modifications.

Hope I was of some help.

-Scott
Old 19th May 2006, 04:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adolphe

A good idea might be to pick up a textbook. I'm told the Art of Electronics (by Horowitz I believe) is extremely good. I have yet to actually get my hands on a copy though, but I plan to in the near future.

[/B]
We have a copy here, and it is very, very good. Get yourself a copy ASAP. You'll learn more fundamental electronics from that than from trawling the net.

Have a look at some of the lectures by Bob Pease too.
Bob Pease

Manufacturers "Application Notes" are often a good read also, though they are usually quite specific in what they deal with.
Old 19th May 2006, 05:46 AM   #10
PM650 is offline PM650  United States
diyAudio Member

I have to agree with TwoSpoons' recommendation of the Art of Electronics. I'm reading it myself, and it starts at the very basics and goes about as far as a book can go without getting extremely specific.

As was recommended to read Pease's lectures, his book Troubleshooting Analog Circuits is also quite good.

Hide this!Advertise here!