About circuitry design, etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I've signed up here in search for advice. I've worked with music equipment a lot over the years, and therefore I do know a bit. I'd been considering going to school for electrical engineering, and though I started a bit late, I am still deeply interested. I used the search tool on the forums but didn't find anything sufficent for my needs. I would like advice on insightful reads regarding PCB's, circuitry design, etc. Books, websites, i've been reading things here and there for some time now, but am looking to dive into it head first.

I appreciate any help!

P.S. Sorry if you get these sorts of posts more than often.

Thank you for your replies.

To be more thorough, i'm looking for information on things such as the various components that are usually put onto a PCB board, how they work, how they interact with each other, how the componenets (i.e. transistors, capacitors, etc) work both on their own and in relation to eachother. I really hope this is better. Thanks!

AndrewT said:
Try these tutorials
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/amplifiers/amplifiers.htm
and the ESP site at
http://sound.westhost.com/index2.html

There are dozens of others if you learn how to use the search engine.

My apologies, and thank you for being kind and offering up these tutorials. I have been going through the search engines, but it is quite difficult sifting through all the various pages whose information is either indirect, or lacks detail. I found a few sites, but hardly were they sufficent in describing anything to the point that it was crystal clear. I come here because I am an "audiophile", and have been deeply interested in circuitry for some time. I just hoped that, because you all know so much already, you would be able to guide someone who is not so knowledgeable.

For instance, being that when I first got into sound design I had little knowledge about how one learns it. Some kind folks pointed me to a rather easy form of synthesis (subtractive synthesis), and it helped me learn the ropes.

I'll stop with all the chatter, i'm only trying to make myself as clear as possible.

The ESP site given is very good at explaining specific topics. Projects are given with detailed explanations. When I first starting researching audio electronics, I found I ended up reading that site atleast a few times over, and I'm still referring to it constantly.

A good idea might be to pick up a textbook. I'm told the Art of Electronics (by Horowitz I believe) is extremely good. I have yet to actually get my hands on a copy though, but I plan to in the near future.

Once you feel comfortable with the theory and background, I would tackle a project like one from www.passdiy.com . Check the Pass Labs on this forum for help if you need it. Once you've built some circuits that are proven and you know how they work in detail, then start applying your knowledge to your own designs and modifications.

Hope I was of some help.

-Scott

adolphe said:
A good idea might be to pick up a textbook. I'm told the Art of Electronics (by Horowitz I believe) is extremely good. I have yet to actually get my hands on a copy though, but I plan to in the near future.

[/B]

We have a copy here, and it is very, very good. Get yourself a copy ASAP. You'll learn more fundamental electronics from that than from trawling the net.

Have a look at some of the lectures by Bob Pease too.
Bob Pease

Manufacturers "Application Notes" are often a good read also, though they are usually quite specific in what they deal with.

I have to agree with TwoSpoons' recommendation of the Art of Electronics. I'm reading it myself, and it starts at the very basics and goes about as far as a book can go without getting extremely specific.

As was recommended to read Pease's lectures, his book Troubleshooting Analog Circuits is also quite good.

hi J,
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. musician, home studio, and i want to learn more about audio electronics so I have more control of what i'm doing from the ground up . feel a little in over my head. currently trying to find out about adding a transformer to match my ribon mic to mic pre. sounds like we both need to check out this horowitz book. btw, I'm also in Columbus (OSU area).

I was just a Barnes and Noble today and they had Horowitz in stock. So you might want to drop by your B&N or university bookstore to check it out before buying to see if it's what you want. On a quick flip through it seems a lot better than the textbook I used for my analogue electronics course (3rd year physics).

-Scott

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I've read through Horowitz and Hill and also highly recommend it. It's a great place for anyone to start and is a very good reference for later on down the road.

There used to be a great pdf article on the Pass Labs DIY site about building your own op amps. That would be a great read too but I can't find it on the site anymore. If you'd like a copy I can email you the pdf file.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.