Modify soundcard, unbalanced to balanced.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm thinking of modifying my soundcard, an M-Audio Revolution. I'm thinking about adding balanced outs for the front channels.
I've just built myself a pair of Aleph 5 monoblocks and they have two inputs. Rca and xlr. I drive these directly from the soundcard at the moment. But now I want to connect other equipment to it as well as the pc. I'm aware of wires that go from rca to xlr, but this is without the benefit of balanced transmission of course. The monoblocks might be placed some distance away from the pc so having balanced might be a good thing.
Is this a bad idea? Will I degrade the sound by converting from unbalanced to balanced?

Get a pair of SSM2142 (Analog Devices), or DRV134 (Burr Brown).
They are pin and package interchangeable. These guys are
designed specifically for driving a balanced line. Just add
power supply decoupling caps and XLRs.

You can also modify equipment at the receiver with the
SSM2143 / DRV135. If you use the driver / receiver pair, you will
get exceptionally good performance.

-- Jim

jrdmedford said:
Get a pair of SSM2142 (Analog Devices), or DRV134 (Burr Brown).
They are pin and package interchangeable. These guys are
designed specifically for driving a balanced line. Just add
power supply decoupling caps and XLRs.

You can also modify equipment at the receiver with the
SSM2143 / DRV135. If you use the driver / receiver pair, you will
get exceptionally good performance.

-- Jim

Thanks for the tip. They look nice indeed, and easier to implement(me be lazy). But I don't need a reciever with my aleph do I? Or have I misunderstood once again.. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.