capacitors types for tube pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What kind of capacitors may I use in the signal path of the Tube mic preamp I´m building?

And on the power supply for this thing?

Some say fast polypropylene capacitors do the job for the audio and eletrolitics(mica) capacitors do for the power supply and phantom power board...

I want as much quality as possible, but I don´t want to pay US$10.00 for a single capacitor. So what´s the better deal?

I think magnetic fields are a problem for mic pres. The transformers I´m using are UTC with TRW shields.

I heard about AURICAP, but I´m really new at this business, and don´t know where to go... So

Any help is needed

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
AUDIO BRESILEIRO.

Hi,

As far as coupling caps go I would certainly spend money on good ones.
I see little point in building a mic pre to send the signal through sonic pigs afterwards.

The better ones MIT Multicap (need a week break in),Hovland,Auricap and a handfull others are worth a try.

For your PSU I suggest making the caps after the last smoothing resistor all polypropylene as well and to my knowledge Solen Chateauroux are the only one making these.
If too expensive ASC is an alternative and there must be others.

For the caps in the filter section use good quality (low ESR and high temperature 105 degrees C) electrolytics.
No micas!

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.