Tony Gee's Capacitor page updated..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mills on first listening you think it sounds great but further listening you notice that highs aren’t good & it’s sluggish. If you listen to light music it’s ok but my pallette of music is very wide so you hear it immediately when music gets heavy, bass does not go that deep & it gets blurred a little. Mundorf Supreme is nice, bass is good but you’ll have to be careful on where you use it cause there’s emphasis on the highs. In my XO I only use 1 Supreme.
Better that you try the Powertrons, they really are that good & its cheaper then Mundorf even after adding the cost of the little heat sink

Cheers

Btw someone mentioned that the M Supreme are wound from Magnanine wires. If this is true then you guys should source for resistors wound with this. After all Im pretty sure Mundorf out source their resistors.

To each his own I guess. But my findings in MRA are consistent cause I even tried it as an I/V resistor in my dac

You don’t know what dynamic means until you try the Powertrons diypass

Cheers

Let's not forget about the Path Audio resistors! They have some great reviews from some well known audiophile gurus. I have used the Mills and Caddock MP930's, and the MP930's are my personal favorite. I will be ordering some Path Audio resistors and will see how they compare!

I agree they are pricey, but if they make an improvement sonically better than the others, I believe it would be worth it! I see you have had good results with the Vishay Powertron T218's. Seems to be like the Caddock MP930's, which I like.

Luckily I have only one resistor in the signal path of my passive crossovers. So I figured I would order (2) and give them a try and see if I will be able to notice a difference.

I just ordered some of the CMR and CSA line Clarity caps. I believe that will also make a good improvement, as I have the ESA's currently. My next adventure will be Copper Foil caps! I have recently purchased some Jupiter CF caps for my mono tube amps, and they really shine! They do take a long time for burn in though! :(

Thank goodness that you only need 1 resistor unlike my ML X0 now with Path resistors you’ll have to run for cover. Lol. Though I’ve not tried the Caddocks, I truly believe that the Powertrons will out perform them. Pls do give it a try. Im using a mix of Clarity, Mundorf & Obliggato in my XO

Cheers

Hi analog_sa I’ve compared wire wounds from

stock Ohmite , Mills MRA, Mundorf M resist supreme & mox.

All had different sound in the same location. M resist Supreme sounded best among the lot but there was more emphasis towards the highs. Then a suggestion by fellow member Eldam came about. That peak my curiousity & price wise reasonable. Ordered them to try & I have to say, it is as close to no sonic signature of its own, superb transparency, speed & grainless. The resistor that I speak of is call Powetrons think its the T218. Got to mount them on small heat sinks though & it’ll handle 30 watts. If your game go give it a try, bet you’ll be in for a real surprise.

Cheers

I'd be interested if you could share your findings for all these resistors.

I've tried the dueland resistors and sadly they make a big improvement.
I say sadly because as you know anything dueland is not cheap. :)

Hi Old'n'Cranky,
Sounds like myself too. lol. Lets put it this way, all components be it caps, resistors, wires all have a sonic signature. For me I play a lot with these stuff & along the way I can identify their strength & weakness. With this knowledge on hand, it gives me a rough idea of how things would sound like if I use them at specific locations. Re Duelunds, I wanted to try them cause PartConnexion had them on sale for good price but 2 things held me back. The size & wattage of the resistor & read somewhere that internally it's actually carbon graphite rods not unlike those use in pencils. In my ML XO, the resistors specs where all 20 watts & to parallel Duelunds will cost me a bomb. Yes many here will say why the need for 20 watts, well it's voicing, higher wattage will have lower inductance. I'm sure that your getting good sound from Duelund, my guess is that it is refine sounding but given that graphite rods have very high inductance, it will not do well in dynamics. My take for resistors are Powertrons, it's dynamic, transparent, grainless & reasonably priced. Can't get better then this. Oh someone mentioned that he doesn't like M Supreme cause it sound coloured but at times we need to add color to the palette to balance things out. One last thing, try Duelund 16awg wires for speaker internal speaker cabling, that's another surprise. In fact I'm using a single run of 16awg from amp to speaker & that's on an ML Odyssey speaker no need water hose size wire.
Duelunds killed my MIT rertminator cables right there & then.

Cheers

Thank goodness that you only need 1 resistor unlike my ML X0 now with Path resistors you’ll have to run for cover. Lol. Though I’ve not tried the Caddocks, I truly believe that the Powertrons will out perform them. Pls do give it a try. Im using a mix of Clarity, Mundorf & Obliggato in my XO

Cheers

I'd like to try the Powertron resistors. Do you know of a good place to order them? I would also need a 22 ohm, but they only go up to 20 ohms. There are a few other values that I can use that are lower then 20 ohms.

I could run 2- 11 ohms in series to get the 22 ohms I need?

Hi FSHZ42
I got mine from Element14. Think Digikey might have them. Yes values are limited but given a tolerance of 5-10% in most resistors, don’t think its gonna cause that much a variation. For us all tweakers, I think the biggest sin that we make is changing inductors & immediately jump to conclusion that sound is improved. It really is partly due to differences in either gauge or material construction & the other part a shift in frequency spectrum due to lower dcr of the inductor. If we’re mucking around with factory designed XO the right way is to maintain the same DCR of the inductor that we replace, with this in mind, we need to insert a series resistor to try maintain the same resistance.

Cheers

hi all

10nf ERO 1837 PP cap in Olive oil ... by pass K72p6 military capacitor :)

The main cover of the capacitor is shaved.

It can help a lot to combat environmental vibrations and audio feedback.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If the level of sound brightness was too high for your system, you can cover the glass surface with a copper plate.Lubricate copper foil sheet with grease. Like the picture below ...

Do not forget this 20-hour Burn-in Time...have good time.

thanks .afshin

This is the last thing I would do to improve my system, but I'm not sure about the choice of olive oil.

Vegetable oils tend to go rancid quickly. Most olive oils are contaminated with low quality vegetable oils due to cartels.

When oils degrade, the byproducts are water, alcohol, moisture, peroxides and some other stuff.

One of the main contaminants that causes degradation in performance of capacitors is moisture. Add to that alcohol and peroxides and I am not very optimistic about the future of that capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.