Ok..now that I've got my Lovoltech Power JFET's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2006, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Ok..now that I've got my Lovoltech Power JFET's

what else could I do with them, apart from using them in the Zen V9. Which is what I'll use them for.

How about a current source for a phase splitter? (Tube amp) Or won't they be a major upgrade compared to say a DN2540 mosfet?

Or maybe a dac output stage? I've been thinking of building an active output stage in my RAKK DAC so that I can switch between passive and active depending on the CD..type of music or whatever.

The datasheet
http://www.lovoltech.com/pdf/LU1014D.pdf

And please no jokes about making a laptop power supply
Old 25th April 2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ok..now that I've got my Lovoltech Power JFET's

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman
what else could I do with them, apart from using them in the Zen V9. Which is what I'll use them for.

How about a current source for a phase splitter? (Tube amp) Or won't they be a major upgrade compared to say a DN2540 mosfet?

Or maybe a dac output stage? I've been thinking of building an active output stage in my RAKK DAC so that I can switch between passive and active depending on the CD..type of music or whatever.

The datasheet
http://www.lovoltech.com/pdf/LU1014D.pdf

And please no jokes about making a laptop power supply

any sort of CCS will be waste,without any gain in performance of sayed CCS (sink or source ,whatever)

why don't you just make one nice laptop PS? ?

I'm trying to figure out how to cascode it and with what to cascode it simply.....to use it in anything besides for some nice little headphone amp
Old 25th April 2006, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
why don't you just make one nice laptop PS? ?
aaaaAAAAAArrggghhhhhh....
Old 25th April 2006, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how to cascode it and with what to cascode it simply.....
Well...I wanted to tell you how to do that..but because you suggested I build a laptop PSU..I won't..
Old 25th April 2006, 09:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:

aaaaAAAAAArrggghhhhhh....

bas-you know your s#h$i%t with tubes....just think SRPP,or white or mu follower........thats route for voltage deficiency of LU.....
you know how to bias it,you know how to look t graphs,what you need more?
besides real need for another weeny SS amp........

I'm in a process of imaging last pieces of Babelfish hardware...and I didn't make nothing with tubes for too long time.......I need now to make something vacuum state based,even if I have dozen of LUs...
hehe,make WOT preamp instead
Old 25th April 2006, 09:56 PM   #6

Here is an example of a cascoded n-channel mosfet the 2,4k resistors are gate stoppers to prevent oscillations.. I suppose the jfet would need them as well..the 1.5k drain stopper can go...

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
,you know how to look t graphs,
Looks like I've fooled quite a lot of folks out there

I'm just a simple cut and paste builder.
Old 25th April 2006, 09:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What about building a quasi-complementary output stage based on the Lovoltech JFETs? Maybe the Yamaha B-1 schematics could give you ideas? You will maybe loose that "triode operating point" of the ZV8 and ZV9, but you might gain some more juice. And maybe a lower electricity bill... At least if you run it class AB. Or variable bias like the 400A...

Rolv-Karsten
Old 25th April 2006, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
What about building a quasi-complementary output stage based on the Lovoltech JFETs?
Thank for the suggestion Rolv-Karsten, but that would be way...waaay out of my league. Since I know absolutely nothing about solid state. Except how to use a voltage regulator. I'll wait for someone to design, build and tweak something...that I can copy.
Old 25th April 2006, 10:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

like I say-I can't see any gain in using LU in place of any decent bjt or mosfet in CCS....
LU have too small voltage margin for something like that and it's sorta "toomuchmoony" device ...... just kidding.....but - same as you place 1A fuse in circ where Iq is 975mA
Old 25th April 2006, 10:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Thank for the suggestion Rolv-Karsten, but that would be way...waaay out of my league. Since I know absolutely nothing about solid state. Except how to use a voltage regulator. I'll wait for someone to design, build and tweak something...that I can copy.
You're welcome.

I have barely thought the idea. It should be possible. But I am really unsure if it's worth it. As I mentioned, the reason to use this power JFET as used probably is that it has a triode-like characteristics, operated as in the ZV9. Operated in "my" quasi-complementary configuration, this might not be possible, I haven't looked into that at all, so I do not know. And then it will be just another power amp. Probably it should be JFET from input to output, also. But this should also be possible. As the electronics component industry is not looking fixedly at the audio designers, but rather at computers and the like, we cannot sit down and wait for a complementary p-channel either.
Just a few ideas...

Rolv-Karsten

Hide this!Advertise here!