Graphite Foam Heatsinks? Check this out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bad link.

Foams in general do NOT make good heatsinks compared with the solid materials. "Normal" graphite is good for refractory applications (not an issue here, we're not running at 1200 Kelvin), but its thermal conductivity and heat capacity are rather mediocre compared to metals. The exception is pyrolytic graphite parallel to the molecular planes, but the anisotropy (about 1000:1) makes it impractical as a heat sink

The best conductor is still diamond. If I can convince deBeers to send me free samples...

Believe it or not, I was in contact with PocoFoam about 4 years ago (IIRC) talking with them about this technology with regards to forced air cooling of cpus. At least back then, the cost was overwhelmingly prohibitive - like $150usd for a 3" cube of the material. They've likely gotten their production costs down some, but it's not going to replace or be any better than good 'ol aluminum any time soon. :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I have a friend at Imperial College in London who is a metallurgist, he has a colleague who is working on this, no details at present because he is waiting for patent approval, but he has promised to get me some samples to try out.

Apparently they have a new technique that can cut the size of heatsinks by up to half, using some sort of esoteric foamed aluminium alloy, the efficiency gains being made by the doping of the ally with various other elements, and a new way of making open cell foams.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ALLOYS

Hi,

Apparently they have a new technique that can cut the size of heatsinks by up to half, using some sort of esoteric foamed aluminium alloy, the efficiency gains being made by the doping of the ally with various other elements, and a new way of making open cell foams.

Now that makes sense to me.
You can also get good cooling by drillig small holes at strategic place on rhe cooling fins.

Peltier elements anyone?:D

These types of technologies will probably be of large benifit to Space research, the military and the Space Station and with any luck there will be some trickle down effects for us Earth bound folk as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fdegrove- graphite/carbon is actually an excellent electrical conductor, I use carbon extensively in my RC gliders and I have experimented with using carbon tow as an interconnect, the problem is attaching it to the RCA's.

Tony D.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CONDUCTIVITY

Hi,

Electrical conductivty is one thing ability to convect heat is quire another.

fdegrove- graphite/carbon is actually an excellent electrical conductor

I'm aware that A.J.Van den Hul prososes this type of conductor but on a resistance per running meter graphite/carbon compostions don't fare that well.
Remember carbon composition resistors?
Which doesn't mean it can't sound O.K.

And as you state it yourself,connenecting them to plugs is a PITA.

Cheers,;)

Diamond heatsinks

SY, I wouldn't have believed the diamond heatsinks item if I hadn't actually held one. This stuff is incredible. It was demonstrated to me using an ice cube held against the edge of a 1cm square with my finger on the opposite edge. I could feel the drop in temperature on my fingertip almost immediately.

Unfortunately I couldn't persuade them to part with an amount sufficient to my Aleph needs. Something about cost and military use....Hmmmm!

Paul:(

any heatsink would be slaughtered by a diamond heatsink because diamond conducts heat through covalent bond lattice vibrations not molecular collisions this is much more effiecient but until the price of diamond comes down or CVD technology improves it is sort of out of reach.

BTW CVD is chemical vapour deposition.

Where the diamond is synthetic and essentially created on a material.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.