local electronic surplus stores

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, since most of us have problems finding parts, let's kinda put together a little database of where some decent (or not decent) surplus stores are. many people always ask, and maybe if there was a list, less people would need to ask.

unfortunately, im one of the askers, and cannot provide anything local to me. if anyone knows of any surplus electronics stores in the boulder/denver colorado area, let me know.

otherwise, post some good surplus stores in your area, what they usually have, how their prices are, how they are stocked, and where they are. this will help everyone tremendously.

J.B. Saunders in Boulder Colorado.

i FINALLY found a place near me that has ok surplus stuff.

they carry tons of caps and resistors, not many heatsinks though. an ok amount of test equipment too. prices arent the best in the world, but they are great on some things, and it IS boulder, hehe :)

they are located 47th and valmont, just south of the saturn dealership on sterling.

Albuquerque NM:

Surplus City (On Central east of Eubank): Lots of junk... Lots and lots of junk. A bit pricey based on other surplus stores I've been in.

Electronic Surplus (On Central east of Wyoming): More electronics, less used underwear than Surplus City. Still pricey.

Koenigs (Zuni, east of San Mateo): Surplus metal, lots of good stuff. Hope you like junkyard dogs.

Los Alamos:

The Black Hole: More scarey surplus that I've ever seen anywhere. Lots and lots and lots of stuff, piled 10+ feet high in a building that is *******' HUGE. See attached image...

Sheldon

Attachments

• bomb_boy.jpg
    bomb_boy.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 758
stokessd said:
Albuquerque NM:
Los Alamos:

The Black Hole: More scarey surplus that I've ever seen anywhere. Lots and lots and lots of stuff, piled 10+ feet high in a building that is *******' HUGE. See attached image...

Sheldon

I thought that sign was a joke until I saw the location,
Los Alamos. Those cables really are what they're claimed to be?

There's a massive electronics liquidator in Dayton, OH called "Mendelson's", it's a trip to walk through.....more vintage stuff than i've ever seen, seems like the size of 2 or 3 grocery stores.

I've just moved up to Detroit...anyone know of a good one here?

Christer said:

I thought that sign was a joke until I saw the location,
Los Alamos. Those cables really are what they're claimed to be?

According to the guys who own the place, that's exactly what they are. they have these really nice gold plated triax type connectors on them that I've never seen before. I hunted all over for mates but aparently you have to buy "the bomb" to get the mating connector.

Sheldon

Since this thread is about surplus stores, could somebody suggest some locations in LA or Orange county (S. Calif)?

I will need about a total of 400,000uf of capacitance (25V min rating) for the 2 channels of my Aleph-X project.

I've learn that Apex Jr has sold out all of his 1000 pieces of Phillip 27,000uf/63v capacitors.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
LA Arera Surplus stores

In your neck of the woods you might want to try
ACP Electronics mostly computer stuff but lots of other
things too.
Ford Electronics Buena Park mixes new items with surplus
And in my neck of the woods
All Electronics Van Nuys online and can request catalog
And where I used to work for a long time (Hence my name)
Apex Electronics Sun Valley 818 767-7210
Steve @
Apex Jr

Another good store is Cal-State electronics. Its off the the 10 between I5 and I405 in LA. The owner, Dick Landis, is a very spry 81 years old and has a ton of NOS components. Give him a call before you go over. I don't have his number with me but he is listed in the Yellow Pages.

In Salt Lake City its Ra-Elco for surplus and new electronic parts. "If they don't have it....You don't need it".
Located on main Street just south of 27th south.
Great source for mil spec 1% metal film resistors, silver plated teflon covered wire, surplus LARGE electrolytics and many other things.

Also for you Vacuum tube freaks there is Salt Lake Instrument on 1300 South near West Temple. Ask to talk to Bill the owner who is no less than 84 years old. Lots o stuff is in boxes so you have togo through things to find the good stuff. Bill is a nice guy and he likes to share tales of when he was in WW-2. He recently had a quadruple bypass but was back to work at the store the following Saturday!
For you video freaks....I wasn't expecting to find a bunch of surplus LCD panels there but I once found two Farnsworth Image Dissector tubes on a top shelf there....both are now in museums where they belong.....Too bad he didn't save the cameras they came out of....
Mark Gulbrandsen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.