Chassis mount power cable holder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I am looking for a 10ga power cable holder/retention devicefor my chassis. I want to run the power cable straight in with no IEC connector, and I can't seem to find connector that will fit around the cable and keep it attached to the case. I have seen them on a bunch of commercial amplifiers, but I can't find out what they are called. I assume that mcmaster.com or somewhere must have them.

Here is a picture of the back of a Krell amplifier that has a 10ga wire going straight in with no connector. What is this attachment device called?

--
Brian

Attachments

• p_750cx_lg_b.jpg
    p_750cx_lg_b.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 216
maybe you're looking for this...

hi
i believe those are called 'grommet's, a cursory google search revealed, for example...
http://www.danchuk.com/firewall.wire.harness.grommet.html
(don't know what gauge this grommet is for, they don't specify).

also, i've found that a good source of ultra-thick cable for things like power etc is welding cable - gauge 2 to 6 are in fact easy to find home depot and such, who also have nice thick copper lugs to accept such thick gauge wire (you can find this stuff in their welding supplies section).

Attachments

• 0353.jpg
    0353.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 205
Joined 2002
Re: maybe you're looking for this...

psarin said:
hi
i believe those are called 'grommet's, a cursory google search revealed, for example...
http://www.danchuk.com/firewall.wire.harness.grommet.html
(don't know what gauge this grommet is for, they don't specify).

also, i've found that a good source of ultra-thick cable for things like power etc is welding cable - gauge 2 to 6 are in fact easy to find home depot and such, who also have nice thick copper lugs to accept such thick gauge wire (you can find this stuff in their welding supplies section).

Thanks for the advice. I picked up some of their 10ga heavy duty power cable for $0.88 a foot, so this should do. It is quite thick and heavy. I was looking at some huge Krell amplifiers at a local audio dealer, and they had the exact same power cable on the back of them with the grommet thing that you talked about.

--
Brian

hi again

that's just a different design i guess - allows multiple-use?

the one's i've usually seen in electronic equipment are one-time use only - you pass the power cable through the grommet, through the chassis hole and solder/clamp it into place inside the amplifier. then you have to wrestle the (rubber) grommet into the chassis hole so that the ring-like depression in it snaps into the chassis hole, which must previously have been cut to be the appropriate size: larger than the grommet's inner diameter, but smaller than it's outer dia. you can see the ring-depression on the grommet in the above picture. only method of disassembly would be to cut the grommet apart.

the two-piece snap-in types would potentially allow easy disassembly, but i'm not sure if you'd want that in a strain-relief ;)

hope this helps -

pradeep

Joined 2002
psarin said:
hi again

that's just a different design i guess - allows multiple-use?

the one's i've usually seen in electronic equipment are one-time use only - you pass the power cable through the grommet, through the chassis hole and solder/clamp it into place inside the amplifier. then you have to wrestle the (rubber) grommet into the chassis hole so that the ring-like depression in it snaps into the chassis hole, which must previously have been cut to be the appropriate size: larger than the grommet's inner diameter, but smaller than it's outer dia. you can see the ring-depression on the grommet in the above picture. only method of disassembly would be to cut the grommet apart.

the two-piece snap-in types would potentially allow easy disassembly, but i'm not sure if you'd want that in a strain-relief ;)

hope this helps -

pradeep

I am thinking of using one of these:
Nylon Liquid-Tight Cord Grip Fittings

It should work just fine. I assume that it is liquid tight, that it will provide a tight connection to the chassis for cable retention. Anyway, the amplifier will just be sitting on the shelf and pressure shouldn't be placed on the cord.

--
Brian

Attachments

• 69915kp1l.gif
    69915kp1l.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 199
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.