HF Chassis Punch sale this week

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hole Sizes not what advertised!

I just got the Harbor Freight metal punch kit #91201 and the hole sizes are NOT 1/2", 3/4", 1", and 1-1/4" as stated in the catalog. These punches are for pipe sizes (pipe ID given).

The actual hole cutouts are approx.: 7/8", 1-3/32", 1-3/8", and 1.7" Not really the correct sizes for tube sockets, although 1-3/32" will probably work for some octal sockets.

Don

Harbor Freight tools are usually of quite low quality. Electrical panels are usually of 16 to 18 ga sheet metal. (I asume that's what they're meant to punch) Anything over that (or harder like stainless) will greatly shorten this tools expected life. If it were my money, I'd spend the 3 times or so for a Greenlee or Klien tool. They're easily up to the task.

But then again, for the more budget consience, the Harbor Freight would be fine for aluminum up to 1/16" or so.

I agree with Brian on this, HF stuff is all made in China and is a big gamble on quality.

I haven't actually tried these punches yet, I was hoping to get a 3/4" punch. But surprisingly, they at least appear to be rather nice units. Even have ball bearing drives. The box claims they are hardened high carbon steel, capable of punching 10 gauge steel sheet, not bad if true. (if you need these odd punch sizes anyway)

I just went and ordered a 3/4" Greenlee punch from Mouser for $37 plus shipping. Thats about 8x the HF price per punch!

If someone really wants these oddballs, you can just call HF up and order them, $19.99 (normal non sale price).
HarborFreight tele: 800-444-3353 or www.harborfreight.com

Says in the box: Do Not operate these products if under the influence of alcohol or drugs! If in any doubt, do not use this tool near utility wires.
:D
Never occured to me before that punches were dangerous, but that got me thinking now. Picturing some deranged guy going around putting holes in car doors or mufflers. Imagine if terrorists got hold of a box of these, God forbid. We better have Homeland Security stop these at the border.

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.