Fluke 87 repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, has anyone ever put too much voltage into thier 87? Well I did.
Understandably it is not acting right after the fact. I have already spotted what appears to be a resistor thats toast. I've gathered from google that it is some special "fusible resistor".
Aside from fuses, what else could have I damaged? Does fluke sell replacement components direct?
Thanks!

I am not sure if they sell components directly, but they certainly service thier meters, and parts are readily available elsewhere if nothing else. If I were you, I would call their tech support line and ask them directly. The last time I had a problem with a meter in my lab they were more than helpful!!

Not all of them. I have one that missed that deal by a few years. :bawling:

It was a REALLY nice one too, but I can't remember the model off of the top of my head.

[edit] Oh Schnikie! It was an 87!!! I looked it up, and the difference between the current 87V: "The 87V operates very similar to the classic 87, but with more problem solving power, safety, convenience and impact protection." And the lifetime warranty!![/edit]

Yep! That's the one!! I have a busted one of those in my drawer at work! Good luck getting yours fixed. I just got a new one when I found out what was wrong (and that I could upgrade during a special they were running, but I think that is over now.) The new one does have the warranty, though!

imix500 said:
That's what I figured. 1000v max means- 1000v max.
lol, indeed!!!! Next time get yourself a good 10X scope probe and save the repair! I have a buddy that had to make a 10,000X (I think) probe for measuring the potential at a mass spectrometer ionization source. The fact that it had to be encased in oil was more than amusing to me! :D But at least he didn't fry his detector!!

Anyway, good luck with getting the Fluke fixed.

Yeah a high votage probe is not a bad purchase idea. They are cheap on ebay.
Blues, hehe I agree, although I wouldn't doubt flukes voltage rating there.
To my defense I was measuring around 1200v, just over the limits of the meter- not off of a flyback or anything, it was not in my hand when I was metering, and it was by accident. Thanks!

I've been repairing and bulding my own laser power supplies for a few years now. I was working on a supply consisting of a bank of 16 450v 3400uf capacitors among others.
I was reforming some large oil energy storage caps for the firing circuit and I forgot the meter was still connected as I was bringing the voltage up (I use a surplus electrophoresis supply for reforming)

dfdye, hehe. Excellent collection. I myself only have a working SSY-1 system in my apt. I have a huge dye laser head I'm hoping to eventually convert to nd/yag. Now I just have to find a ~1/4" x 12" rod, two lamps to match and 1" optics. Eh, it was $30. Aside form that a bunch of yag power supplies and parts, and 4 or 5 large thyratrons. My father is into visible light gas ion (argon, mixed gas) large frames. He's got a Lexel 95, Coherent I-90, and a SP 2012. Fun stuff.

willyhoho, will do. Forgot these meters use mov's. I wish schematics were find-able for these meters.

Just an update, got the service manual from Fluke. I was really suprised they have them for download.
After a thorough evaluation of the front end of the meter, I'm replacing the fusible resistor R1, both varistors RV1 and RV2, the thermistor RT1, and a cap C1 that was damaged by the varistors when they blew. Basically the entire front end protection except for the spark gap. It appears to still be a spark gap.
I bought the parts directly from fluke through thier estore. Also picked up an extra set of fuses. I thought $40 for those original replacement parts wasn't bad considering what it might cost to send it in for repair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.