Converting UK equipment for US mains - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL, USA
Default Converting UK equipment for US mains

I have a Boss ME-10 guitar effects unit made for UK electrical mains of 240V, but now I'm in the US.
Rather than buy a step-up transformer (I don't trust that they won't cause noise in my effects unit, and couldn't find one that also changed from 60-50Hz), I decided to get the US version of the units internal transformer, as the internal components are all DC rather than AC.

I just have one concern with the replacement part - will I need to replace the cable that plugs into the electrical outlet, or can I just change the plug on the end?
There doesn't seem to be any way to tell anything about the gauge of the cable, and although 120V is obviously less likely to be a problem than the 240V it's designed for, I'm unsure what current this new part will make the unit draw from the outlet.

Any help with this would certainly put my mind at ease.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member
richie00boy's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England, UK
The cable might not be high enough current rating. Personally I would have just bought a little step up transformer, there is no need to convert frequency.
__________________ my website for UK diy audio people - designs, PCBs, modules and more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2006, 09:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Derbyshire
Yes, there's no problem with the existing lead, it's a very low current item, and the UK mains lead is designed for a higher voltage and will actually be safer.

However, I agree that a converter transformer would be fine, noise isn't a problem or a concern - but if you can replace the existing internal transformer it's certainly 'nicer', if some what more expensive!.
Nigel Goodwin
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MAINS... simple, old style amplifier, plugged into mains electrical outlet (110) destroyer X Solid State 2 15th June 2008 02:31 PM
FS - UK..........Mains Transformers for Valve Equipment poynton Swap Meet 0 6th November 2007 05:22 PM
Converting a DAC harrygrey382 Digital Source 48 15th June 2007 09:16 PM
Converting a DAC-in-the-Box to I-out? Aleksunder Digital Source 0 26th May 2007 11:44 AM
Converting this power supply to 127VAC (not the mains) -_nando-_ Power Supplies 6 31st May 2006 04:48 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2