Converting UK equipment for US mains - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2006, 07:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Converting UK equipment for US mains

I have a Boss ME-10 guitar effects unit made for UK electrical mains of 240V, but now I'm in the US.
Rather than buy a step-up transformer (I don't trust that they won't cause noise in my effects unit, and couldn't find one that also changed from 60-50Hz), I decided to get the US version of the units internal transformer, as the internal components are all DC rather than AC.

I just have one concern with the replacement part - will I need to replace the cable that plugs into the electrical outlet, or can I just change the plug on the end?
There doesn't seem to be any way to tell anything about the gauge of the cable, and although 120V is obviously less likely to be a problem than the 240V it's designed for, I'm unsure what current this new part will make the unit draw from the outlet.

Any help with this would certainly put my mind at ease.
Old 10th April 2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The cable might not be high enough current rating. Personally I would have just bought a little step up transformer, there is no need to convert frequency.
Old 10th April 2006, 10:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, there's no problem with the existing lead, it's a very low current item, and the UK mains lead is designed for a higher voltage and will actually be safer.

However, I agree that a converter transformer would be fine, noise isn't a problem or a concern - but if you can replace the existing internal transformer it's certainly 'nicer', if some what more expensive!.

Hide this!Advertise here!