Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2006, 06:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Does this DAC require the volume control?

http://www.diyaudiosystem.com/

All the parts for this DAC with small pre-amp look nice.... It looks like it should compete with some rather expensive DAC's....

However the log pot in the parts list is a real junker. I would not want to use it.

Is it possible to adjust volume via computer, before the signal gets to the DAC? Mine has a non-software control that I like a lot and have been using. I hate pots because they ruin sound by degrading signal and screwing up timing.

If it is not possible I guess I could attach an attenuator, the only other real possibility.
Old 28th March 2006, 08:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Does this DAC require the volume control?

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer OS.

I hate pots because they ruin sound by degrading signal and screwing up timing.

I don't know what you mean?.

Quote:

If it is not possible I guess I could attach an attenuator, the only other real possibility.
A volume control IS an attenuator!.
Old 28th March 2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Volume controls before a DAC are the true real junkers.

Some form of analog volume control is mandatory after the DAC in order to preserve signal to noise ratio at low volumes.
Old 29th March 2006, 06:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Stepped attenuator..... sorry.

Hm they cost a freaking fortune is what sucks. Unfortunately not enough to make me get some TVC transformers, but I do so wish for them.

The best volume control I have ever used is my computer non-software one. It works perfectly.
Old 29th March 2006, 06:15 AM   #5
Hara is offline Hara  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe software just tells the soundcard's digitally controlled solid state attenuator how much to attenuate. Either way there is still the attenuator, the sound is not being attenuated before the dac.

Hide this!Advertise here!