Bronze heatsinks, split from advanced GainClone thread - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2006, 07:37 PM   #181
pneuma is offline pneuma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jneutron
But during that waiting period, perhaps it is best not ridiculing others. His observations may be suspect, brought on by wishful thinking, or they may indeed be valid.

Obviously, some topics will never resolve, so does that require hostility?

Cheers, John

Hostility, no, but I so think a good ribbing is in order.

Also, if I stopped to test every single thing I hear on this board for verification, I'd have no time left over to actually sit and enjoy what I'm working for. Some you just have to read and say, "I can't believe he's serious, but good luck to him..."

So, yes, until something more materializes that what I've seen, I'll continue to think it's a humorous proposition. You have to understand that my first post in this thread was totally honest. I thought this was some sort of April Fool's day gag.

Now that I see that people are actually serious about this, I'll definately stop heckeling them, but I won't stop thinking it funny.

P.
Old 27th July 2006, 06:07 AM   #182
diyAudio Member

you need to balance between "woody" and "tinny" bronze has a nice woody sound to the name but you know its metal !

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/woodytin.htm

you want your heatsinks to be perfectly balanced OR ELSE dont bother, aluminium is even more tinny than tin!
Old 25th September 2006, 12:21 AM   #183
tawn10 is offline tawn10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

is this really a debate or are you all rubbig the asthetics, Point of prospective - taste is a matter of non perpetuism and so stability or perfect balance denotes clinical air, perhaps you may be able to obtain the perfect balance of atoms and particles using nothing more tha a mere click of the fingers as determied by the butterfly effect but why avoid the issue that you will never be happy with any less than gods cd collection, the amp sounds grrrreat at most levels, a nip or a tuck here and there will always taste like fresh lettuce but the design remains constant as does the mass of our universe to whomever stepped on the waste of materials, Any ways the ab amp does not require massive thermal precaution and hence does not react significantly to change, I do beleive technics built a so called class aa with fans to keep things cool and constant at different levels and such like is necessary as not in the gc case, Diy I think is a great way of reaching out and becoming one with the world that I and yourselves are all part of by some form of degree and that is what makes this all so apealing, that and self ritcheousness of senchient being, give me a recipee and I will bake a cake
Old 8th July 2009, 03:08 PM   #184
daneman is offline daneman  Austria
diyAudio Member

EDIT: Ok, very old post..

also the form of the heatsinks may influence the sound. my PC, just for audio-playback, had a standard Intel-heatsink at the CPU (linke this: http://tinyurl.com/kml3q5). when i scratched over it, it gave a hair-raising sound. so i found this kind noise in the analog-ouputs too. i chanced to a solid heatsink. - and the sound through analog-outs was FAR better, this noise was gone. -so, the material of course too..

i don´t think it had an influence at the digital procedures in the CPU, but the vibrations may have influenced caps or other not that solid stuff..

br
Daniel
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:15 AM   #185
diyAudio Member

So...different thermal compound, different sonic too?
Old 29th December 2013, 07:38 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Okay,
I have read through this link fast and not seen all the details but the reason I want to build one of Daniels amps is because I found out that my dfa888 amp sounds really bad when getting warm.
I was actually surprised that the sound quality would change that much warm or cold.
In the beginning I thought it had to do more with my mood it sounded that different but over time I found out the reason was because of the time the amp was on.
One phrase of Daniel made me make my choice about the heat-sink.:
"it seems that the colder the chip it sounds the best."
Besides diamant, silver etc.,copper has the best thermal dissipation and simply will keep the temperature the lowest at the chip.

After I will get my kit from Daniel and know what size the heat-sink must be to fit the casing I will visit the local lumbyard to get me the perfect heat-sink from copper

Greetz,

Joery
Old 29th December 2013, 08:35 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerytech View Post
dfa888 amp sounds really bad when getting warm.
It's 25 years old.
Old 29th December 2013, 09:20 PM   #188
godfrey is online now godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One phrase of Daniel made me make my choice about the heat-sink.:
"it seems that the colder the chip it sounds the best."
Besides diamant, silver etc.,copper has the best thermal dissipation and simply will keep the temperature the lowest at the chip.
If you want to take anything Daniel says seriously, you might like to remember that he preferred bronze to copper. He was NOT happy with the sound using copper heatsinks.
Old 1st January 2014, 06:05 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Actually, it seems to me that the chip sounds better with lower temperatures.
This for me sounds very logical, the heat being dissipated is determent by the current and this will vary a lots in music amplification.

Over thinking my first comment I better use a copper bar as heat accumulator that will draw as fast as possible the produced heat from the chip. This bar directly connected to an aluminum heat sink with big surface to air area to transfer the produced heat to the air.

It is all for me also an experiment so we will see.

@ Jacco,
Sorry, I don't understand your comment.

Greetz,

Joery
Old 1st January 2014, 06:08 PM   #190
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
@ Jacco,
Sorry, I don't understand your comment.

Greetz,