Bronze heatsinks, split from advanced GainClone thread - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2006, 09:22 PM   #101
pneuma is offline pneuma  United States
diyAudio Member

This is all a joke, right?

P.
Old 28th March 2006, 10:02 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
Does anyone know if transparent aluminum will be conductive?...
If by transparent aluminium you mean aluminium oxide, the answer is no, it is not conductive. It is in fact excellent insulator, and very hard to boot ! Not as hard as diamond, but harder than most metals. It has been used (in form of a sapphire) as bearing material in mechanical clocks. And can be colored to pretty much any color you like - again it won't be as nice looking as diamond, but close ... And much cheaper too !

Dark blue heatsinks sound best with "Kind of Blue" ... I can only assume Peter had in mind AC-DC "Hells bells" with bronze
Old 28th March 2006, 10:07 PM   #103
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually Bratislov,

I was just being a goof, but there are 3-4 aluminum family materials being worked on... give it a google some interesting reading.

Old 28th March 2006, 10:57 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
What a tremendous ability humans have to waste prime materials
Let's keep some perspective; we're talking about a couple pounds of bronze.

Quote:
It's really discouraging to see people building randomly and being proud of it.
Well, I don't see Peter's work as random, maybe you do ... in any case he has no reason not to be proud of his hard work and creativity, even if he follows paths that you wouldn't.

Rather than discourage Peter from his path (and others from following) why don't you set examples that you feel are less discouraging? Just telling us what not to do is not enough. Design AND BUILD something that shows everyone how you think it should be done. Display it here for us to learn from. Perhaps you'll start a revolution.
Old 28th March 2006, 11:21 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
I was just being a goof, but there are 3-4 aluminum family materials being worked on... give it a google some interesting reading.

Actually I missed the obvious Star Trek reference by a country mile ... hunderd lashes with a wet noodle in order !

Old 29th March 2006, 12:19 AM   #106
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Cigna

Rather than discourage Peter from his path (and others from following) why don't you set examples that you feel are less discouraging? Just telling us what not to do is not enough. Design AND BUILD something that shows everyone how you think....

You're not the only one to notice the disconnect between quantity of negative comment and number of builds.
Old 29th March 2006, 12:36 AM   #107
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Peter,

may i ask why you still / keep mounting the Cardas speaker terminals that way. When i was using your amp at brians house i used it one then put it aside because it was such a pain to use. The speaker cables blocked the power / rca connections. How come you don't mount them so the wires will come out the bottom and not the sides?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_9305.jpg (77.4 KB, 367 views)
Old 29th March 2006, 01:08 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
That was already discussed in a chassis thread.

You are using not typical speaker cable connectors. Get rid of those funny looking spades, use the smallest AQ type or bare wire and you won't have problem with speaker cables connection.

Besides, I don't see a reason to use low mass binding post with high mass spades. The AC connector seems larger than normally as well.

And in closing, that thread is about bronze heatsinks, why are you posting here?

PS: Out of 70 of those amps/chassis sold, you are the first one coming with that question, and you don't even use the amp.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 29th March 2006, 01:18 AM   #109
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Opps i'll post over there then...

PPS the power plug is the exact same size as any other you would use.

If the connectors you used were rotated 90deg they would work perfectly with all cable's.
Old 29th March 2006, 01:26 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Here's the link where I described my preference: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...680#post343680

The binding posts will not be rotated.

The patented posts are an option; regular posts are available as well and one can always use banana connectors.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!