HELP: White or Pink noise problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Tedyp is offline Tedyp  Israel
diyAudio Member

Question HELP: White or Pink noise problem

Hello all,
It's my first post here, hoping that maybe someone may help me with a white/pink analog problem: I have several schematics using a NPN transistor as the source noise. the Base is at ground, the Emitter via a 470k resistor to VCC and Collector NC.
It works perfect from 10V, but as I need it portable, I wish to make it work from 6-9V (beginning with a 9V battery, that in an hour or two become 6V due the using an AF -lm386- amp.
The problem that any transistor I try (ANY!!!) - no matter what I'm doing, stops working under 8.5 - 8.6V.
I have to finish this project ASAP - but need some ideas - what can I do to make it working without redesigning my PCB?. I'm using this noice source, connected by a 0.47uF to a transistor (amp), an rc network for the "pink", another transisor as second stage amp and the 386. Nothing new, but I cannot find a decent noise source
I'll appreciate any help.
TIA,
Tedy
Old 26th March 2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Onra is offline Onra  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,
you may use a voltage doubler driven by a CMOS-Timer-IC 555.
An other solution is searching for a Transistor with an Emitter-Base Breakdown Voltage of less than 4 - 5V.
Usable parts are BC368/369, BC868/869 and for example BFT92 as RF-Transistor with an Emitter-Base-Breakdown Voltage of 2Volts.
Many RF-transistors have very low VBE-breakdown.

Onra
Old 26th March 2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Tedyp is offline Tedyp  Israel
diyAudio Member

Thanx a lot for responding, Onra,
I've tried BC868 - I had only one - worked well for about 3 minutes and then - R.I.P. At 8V !!!) there is no way for me to find BFT92 - it's a very hard to get one (I'm working more on the RF field, surveillance, transmitters etc,) - but I have several RF transistors that work OK - I'm not exactly sure what are those transistors - they are about half of TO92 case, round and marked as 668CB. The same thing happen to them as well: they begin to work, work for some time - but when I begin to "play" with them, and I mean turning the device on and off several time - they drop dead as well
I've seen my design at endless sites, I've checked it endless times - there must be something that make those transistors to "burn"....and I cannot find any device that may be used instead. I've tried Zenners - from 2.4V to 12V - no noise. Leds, - nothing... I'll find the design in a short time and up it here, as I'm not sure I have it on this PC...
Regards,
Tedy

Hide this!Advertise here!