I am really bad at making PCB's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Part placement is very important and can make or break a design.

Will moving a component ease congestion resulting in a direct route?

Route power and gnd first, look at the route does it make sense?
You don't want a spagettie route. move parts to reduce routing.
Determine the most important net, route by hand. The use the auto router to finish the routing.

Keep components that are assoicated close together caps used on the input placed/aligned next to the input pin. Provide TP / large via's for signal and gnd. Place gnd test point close to where you need to make measurements.

Remenber the solder mask needs to extend several mils beyond all pad.

A copper pour can be placed on the tap of each regulator for mounting, heat disapation and noise reduction (there is room for it).
you can tie it to a gnd net.

It does not seem that the 317 is tied the ground plane?

A design option would be to route on both while using then use smaller copper pours to provide noise reduction.

Provide a seperate return for each voltage and terminate at it regualtor. This keeps the current path short for each reg.

On the AC side, 2 to 4 mil clearance would be needed if the input is 120ac.

On the low voltage side, 8 mil clarance would be great but if the board house has differculty aligning the mask you could have a problem. I used ~15 mil with 402 resistors (dust size part) and it worked will for me.

I don't have the chart in front of me but a 25mil trace will handle
> 500ma's. Someone can correct me it I'm wrong.

btw the hole size's look like they are the width of the trace, either
make the pad larger or size the hole ~8mils larger than needed

Anther other option is to use to copper pours, tied at a single point
one for the ac side, the other for the low voltage side.

slxrti

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.