Replace electrolytics with foil caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of replaceing the Caps in my ageing Sansui UA-117II integrated amp (has to be about 30 years old, and bass got very thin).

The inside of the amp is quite well done and way above constructin standards I see today. Even the PCB traces are printed on the top to make things easy.

My question is;
I noticed some of the caps on the amp are eletrolytics, but appear to sit right in the audio path. Also on the circuit diagram they are not marked as polar, but on the PCB, they are.

Can I safely replace these with film caps?

Attachments

• recap.jpg
    recap.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 233
capacitor replacements

For coupling capacitors, the Dynamicap is the best I have found.
They are very expensive, however, and you may not want to spend that much money. They also are only available up to a few microfarads, and you may need larger values, which forces you to use electrolytic caps.
The best source i have found is parts connexion in canada; they have just about all of the audiophile-grade caps in stock and good info on applications in most cases.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.