Interconnect and Speaker wire comparrison, what do I want? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2006, 03:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Interconnect and Speaker wire comparrison, what do I want?

I have been using 9259 Belden Coaxial as of late... I considered 89259 because it is easier to work with, but I have also read about oxidation problems.

I want some thing that sounds as good, because this stuff is nothing short of amazing. If I attach cheap bananna ends on it from radioshack I loose significant quality is sound.....

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=445

and

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=528

have been two considerations....

What do you guys think of the

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=248

for AC power wire?

Any suggestions are welcome. I plan to use Bullet copper plugs, onto Exodus high copper content RCA jacks.

Parts connextion has...

D.H. Labs BL-1 Silver Sonic 20 awg balanced interconnect cable

and also D.H. labs ST-100 Silver Hybrid Speaker Cable, OFC + silver plated OFC, 14 awg. speaker wire

Percy has...

Canare Star Quad L4E6S that I looked at as well.

Who sells nice IEC chassis mounts with the fuse holders/switch ? I have been trouble finding any that are not the ordinary $1.95 ones.
Old 16th March 2006, 06:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

No one has any suggestions?
Old 16th March 2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

RS components has a range of those, starting from the cheap to the downright crazy. All with datasheets. so no blind buying at least.
Old 16th March 2006, 06:44 PM   #4
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What do you hope to find in that stuff?

Take whatever money you plan to spend on cables and invest it where it matters--electronics, speakers. Or you could try snakeoil.com.
Old 16th March 2006, 07:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I want some thing that sounds as good,

Great, but why ask here? Almost all cable topics at diyaudio are started and supported by trolls. If you want sensible answers try the cable asylum.
Old 16th March 2006, 09:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

How the hell would I know that? I am not a troll.

I just figured you guys might have some experience with the cables in question.
Old 16th March 2006, 09:58 PM   #7
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The cables you currently use are as good as those most people here use. I use power cord for speaker cable, and I'm not alone. I would feel like a criminal if I recommended some high-price bling. And don't go spend some money on some AC jack. Look at the jacks on most ultra high-price gear. They are standard jacks.
Old 16th March 2006, 10:20 PM   #8
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

The most important thing is your connections are soldered and clean.

The next most important is probably shielding from RFI.

The next most important thing is enjoy the music.
Old 17th March 2006, 01:17 AM   #9
dfdye is offline dfdye  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had really nice success with simple bulk guitar cable for interconnects and cheap extension cables (think large gauge garden extension cables) for power cable.

Speaking of power cables, remember that your PS should filter any junk that gets on the line. The power cable going to your electronics will do nothing to clean up the junk that is in your house's power. Even if you have a signal conditioner, the most important factor in choosing a good power cable is whether it conducts. Seriously, all the Jazz about power cables affecting sound is rather impossible. Save your cash and don't believe the hype. Look at physics instead.
Old 17th March 2006, 01:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

analog_sa lighten up on destroyer. He had a legitimate question.

My experience is that cables do make a difference, but up to a point. I would never pay $100 or up for a set of interconnects or speaker cables. But I have spent $25-$50 on wire and connectors, invested an hour or so in time, and have been very satisfied with the results.

I am very thankful of all of the kindness and help I've gotten from the members here, and can't remember someone looking dwn their nose at the quality of the question I asked.

Hide this!Advertise here!