Electrolytic cap question (not quite covered elsewhere)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, I'm re-capping a particularly good in car CD player (Clarion/AddZest DRX9255, more info here if you want it; http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=96611), I was originally looking at using the Panasonic ECA audio caps as posted in another thread but they were deemed 'consumer junk'

So I'm now looking at other options. the problem is size, as you can imagine in a car cd player they don't half pack em in. I'm currently looking at the std range of Blackgates, reasonable cost and available in suitable values, I mostly need:
3.3uF@50V
10uF@16V
22uF@16V
47uF@6.3V
47uF@16V
100uF@6.3V
100uF@16V

most of the current caps are labeled wit 'FDS' the top of the F and bottom of the S stretching along the whole logo and are all 85deg rated, I don't know who's caps these are.

So as you can see small value caps and they are all pretty well packed in, typically no more than 2 mm between caps. The obvious going for higher values is not really an option due to size.

So what do people reccomend? Black gate stds, there are a couple of OSCONs on the board, whatever I go for needs to be relatively small and it does get warm in there.

thanks guys and girls :)

Hi,
somewhat tongue in cheek, can I suggest you give up trying to produce good sound using Solid State electronics in the In Car environment.

Go back to using valve (tube) gear as they originally did.

Space is not a problem if you do. The car becomes too full to carry passengers.

More down to earth, you have already recognised the problem.

Very compact electrolytics have very compromised capacitor characteristics.

If you strive to improve on any particular specification you must sacrifice space saving. But then it won't fit. I don't think you will find a solution.

Funny you mention that I've just swapped the Sovtek 12AX7s in my car amp for JJ Tesla ECC83s from Watford valves :) (seriously).

I know the whole thing is a compromise, I'm just trying to make the best of that compromise. No way can I squeeze film caps in there but I;m hoping I can upgradewhat I have and maybe get physically larger electrolytics in key areas wherever possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.