PRP - Precision "Metal Film" Resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The three things good ol' AB carbon comps excel at are:
1. The best, and clearest color markings ever.
2. High power pulse absorption.
3. Manufacturing process environmental problems, which caused manufacture to move offshore.

Sound ain't one of them. Not harsh to my ears, just veiled. (Not heard through modern speakers/system though. )

If you look around, there are posts on resistor comparisons; some Caddocks are highly thought of. Holco's (now discontinued) and PRP(?)get good marks from some. And for a very stiff price, the Vishays are still the best I've tried.

Michael Percy's site has many parts of interest; I've used his catalog for many years, and prefer his site to Parts Connexion, although that is just a personal bias; the orders I have placed with PC have been just fine.

Carbon composition resistors drift a lot. They take on moisture when they are cold and drive of the moisture when they heat up. This results in the resistance changing when the unit warms up.

One of the advantages of carbon composition resistors is low parasitic inductance. They still find favor in rf circuits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.