Resistor type and power rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Would someone please help me find the power rating for a resistor I am coping with while repairing my amplifiers. I am not sure what type it is either... carbon film maybe? The cylinder portion is 1.7 cm long.

This is my first post, it seems like a reasonable question but please let me know if it is not suitable for this forum.

Thank you

Here is a scan of the resistor in question:

This looks like a recent (70's) carbon composition resistor. It is probably rated at 1/2 watt. These resistors are larger than a more modern resistor with the same dissipation.

Metal oxide resistors are often used in power supplies, but I dont like their sound. Carbon comps sound good.

Many thanks Anatech, Indm, ArnoldC, and G for your help.
Your suggestions and advice not only helped me to look in the right places on the net but also led to finding answers for a couple of other questions.
Anyway, I was able to confirm, due to it's size, and by comparing it to a Kiwame I had, that it is an Allen-Bradley 18K 5% 2W.

Here are some other details...
My workshop.
( this web site is very new and extremely messy... be warned )
Thanks again,
suspired

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.